Europe says Hi

Cornflowerblues

Location (City and/or State)
Vienna (AT), Berlin (DE)
I won't deprive it of having an outdoor enclosure because there is dirt in the garden? Nature has dirt, fact.
I have it checked on every three months by a toirtoise-specializing vet to make sure it's developing fine and we're keeping it properly. He is aware of all the circumstances and changes we make so I can make sure we're not making mistakes. I would never allow it to walk around my room if I hadn't cleaned it before and made sure there is absolutely nothing on the ground it could eat or accidentally swallow or hurt itself with. It needs space and the space we're providing is specially prepared. we're not letting it randomly walk around under the sink, if that's what you think. it walks from the enclosure over a few meters of clean wood out into a garden.

Cornflowerblues

Vienna (AT), Berlin (DE)
And like I said... it doesn't "live" in my apartment. It lives in a 3x1,4m indoor enclosure with soil and plants and heating and light like it is supposed to. I posted a picture on the first page. What I said is, that under supervision, it is sometimes allowed to leave the enclosure and walk around to the outdoor area.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Okay do what you think. Everybody here can tell you that a tortoise must stay in their enclosure. To put them every time from one place to an other place is more stress for them than enjoyment. This stress makes for example that they pee. While they pee parasites or bacterial can come into their cloaca. And they get problems with their tummy. Also with the stress which they have when you put them from their enclosure to the bottom worms or other parasites grow up better than in a constant enclosure. So maybe some other members here can tell you that to keep tortoise on your apartment bottom is the worst way to keep tortoises. Do you saw the pictures here with the tortoise keepers who wear gloves when they present their animals? They do that because tortoises aren't really resistant against parasites or bacterial. And they only take them to make photos. You put them all day from one place to an other. That's the wrong way. Normally I never touch my animals only to clean their enclosure and to weigh them...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's all good, Meg. You came here to learn, and none of us here is afraid to share our opinions. Take our info in the vein it was given. We're trying to be helpful.

In my opinion, tortoises are wild animals, not domesticated pets. So I treat all my tortoises that way. I leave them alone. I have them set up outside in large well-planted habitats, and my only interaction with them is to feed, water and clean up the pen.

Each of us here on the Forum has our own way of caring for our animals. You'll figure out the best way for you and your tortoise too. Read our experiences, but learn from your tortoise.

Cornflowerblues

Vienna (AT), Berlin (DE)
I appreciate all the advice, I do. Don't get me wrong. And nobody learns without it. :)
I just don't like being misquoted. I NEVER pick my tortoise up to take it places. If it goes someplace, it goes on its own. It's not a stuffed animal. That's basics.
That's the point of having a door I can open for it so it can walk outside, spend the day in the sun in the outdoor enclosure and then come back in when it's getting colder. (Or whenever it likes)

Last edited:

yillt

I appreciate all the advice, I do. Don't get me wrong. And nobody learns without it. :)
I just don't like being misquoted. I NEVER pick my tortoise up to take it places. If it goes someplace, it goes on its own. It's not a stuffed animal. That's basics.
That's the point of having a door I can open for it so it can walk outside, spend the day in the sun in the outdoor enclosure and then come back in when it's getting colder. (Or whenever it likes)
Well to me it sounds like you're doing great. About the apartment thing, obviously you want to carry on doing that which is fine as long as the temperature in that room isn't to cold or hot and the floor needs to be spotless. Because if anything happens you will blame yourself and wish you hadn't done that. But I think it will all be fine. I love your enclosure and you sound very passionate about your tortoise. Good luck. :)