exhale hiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
I have had my RT for about 3 months now. When I sometimes touch him anywhere he goes into his shell really quickly which causes him to hiss. I know this is caused from the air in his lungs exhaling. He does it just about every time and will sometimes storm off like I made him mad. Does this mellow out eventually? It seems like he gets scared or he isn't used to me yet.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
In a tortoise's life 3 months is not a long time, and it does go away, in some cases, tortoises are all different some get over it and others don't. Russians are very personable and most do end up being very affectionate ( for tortoises). I would not say he is getting scared per se, more like startled if that helps at all.

Debi1*

5 Year Member
Southwest Wyoming
Blake m said:
I have had my RT for about 3 months now. When I sometimes touch him anywhere he goes into his shell really quickly which causes him to hiss. I know this is caused from the air in his lungs exhaling. He does it just about every time and will sometimes storm off like I made him mad. Does this mellow out eventually? It seems like he gets scared or he isn't used to me yet.

Yes, I have noticed that Russian tortoises do get startled more easily than other tortoises. My RT does get startled a lot easier than my red-foot and likes to hiss a lot.He's not as social as the red-foot but he has gotten a little bit better.Just keep at it and don't get discouraged three months is not very long in the tortoises life.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Yeah, it definitely has not been that long. But, its great to know that he may become affectionate. I know many people who do not believe turtles or tortoises can have that form of characteristic.

Debi, how is the care for a red foot compared to the RT? Also, how much was yours and do you have to feed it the frozen rodents? I've recently become attracted to the red foots. Especially the cherry and mango.

Debi1*

5 Year Member
Southwest Wyoming
Blake m said:
Yeah, it definitely has not been that long. But, its great to know that he may become affectionate. I know many people who do not believe turtles or tortoises can have that form of characteristic.

Debi, how is the care for a red foot compared to the RT? Also, how much was yours and do you have to feed it the frozen rodents? I've recently become attracted to the red foots. Especially the cherry and mango.

The red foot needs a lot more humidity than RT and I also feed him more fruit. He's also a lot bigger so he needs a much bigger space. I didn't buy him, I rescued him out of a very bad situation. I have also been thinking that it might be better for him to go to somebody that can give him
more outside time. Here in Wyoming it's just too cold for him to be out for more than a couple of months of the year. I have also never heard of feeding frozen rodents, maybe there's something I could learn about that, don't know.Well,got to go for right now, have horses to feed and torts to put away before it gets dark. Back later by

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
And remember the hissing noise is just him pulling head and legs in quickly, with air being forced out (like a bellows). He is not actually hissing, per se, just startled.
Regarding stomping: mine seem to stomp everywhere, even when they are happy and headed for food!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Thank you for the information and advice.

He seems to storm off if I touch his leg or arm (not sure what its called) he will scurry off quickly. He does the same thing when I remove him from the ground in my bedroom back to his tank.

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
Think he's scared, give him more time and he will come to you for food. Best if you can put him on your palm when u pick up, they don't like walking on air. It took 6 months for my red foot to come for food, any sudden movement she goes into her shell.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
All turtles do this when frightened. The longer you have him, the more accustomed to you he will become, and the less often will he feel the need to do this.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
I speak to my RT's to let them know that I am there and always approach from the front so they can see me. I also gently rub their backs. :rolleyes:

PS95

5 Year Member
I've had my 2 Russians for over 5 years. Because of predator and climate issues, I keep them on a tort table inside the house. I handle them (gently) every week or so when I soak them and change their substrate. They've never hissed much but they definitely don't enjoy being handled, even gently. They each have a distinctly different personality, with Boris more dominant and preoccupied with eating while Natasha seems more curious about her surroundings. Sometimes I will stand a distance off and peek at them. While Boris doesn't even notice, Natasha will stare right back at me. When I approach their table and put my hand inside Boris will ignore me but Natasha will approach me. My conclusion is that every Russian is a little different. The are definitely not automatons.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ps95:

Won't you take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Blake m, I handle my torts to care for them, but not too much otherwise.
When I carry them to another location, I put them a small plastic container with a piece of cardboard on the bottom that I keep next to their enclosure, as they just don't like flying through the air (reminds them of predators).
If I have to disturb them and they are sleeping, I tap gently on their shells and let them wake up.
And even so, I think they only like me because I bring food. Sort of a one way relationship, lol!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Alright, I do completely understand nd like your idea! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.