Status
Not open for further replies.

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto
Hi there,

i have a hatchling hermanns. I was thinking about going with Mazuri as a weekly supplement. The minimum size is 25lb! it'll probably go to waste before I have a chance to use it. Has anyone heard about the exo terra "adult tortoise" food? is it only for adults?

thanks

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Rob
If I were you and wanted to feed something else than real greens once in a while to my tortoise I would stick with the mazuri and forget about other tortoise food. I wanted to buy mazuri too but I have the same problem as you, 25lb is a lot and way too much for someone who has a little tortoise. What kind vitamin or calcium do you give your Leonardo II and how many times a week?

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
If there were other hatchling owners on here who weren't too far from each other, we could all buy a bag a split it... it's going to go bad before I will get a chance to use it all..

Can't remember the name of the calcium - I'm at work now... but it has the d3 in it

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
siwash said:
If there were other hatchling owners on here who weren't too far from each other, we could all buy a bag a split it... it's going to go bad before I will get a chance to use it all..

Can't remember the name of the calcium - I'm at work now... but it has the d3 in it

Is it reptocal?
The problem with 25lb is that it is a lot.
If you find a couple of people to split the Mazuri, I am in. I would pay the shipping but I would only need 1lb.

jpeck425

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Michigan
siwash said:
Hi there,

i have a hatchling hermanns. I was thinking about going with Mazuri as a weekly supplement. The minimum size is 25lb! it'll probably go to waste before I have a chance to use it. Has anyone heard about the exo terra "adult tortoise" food? is it only for adults?

thanks

I don't have Herman's Tortoises, but I have fed the Exo-Terra diet to Marginateds, Cherryhead Redfoots, Indian Stars and Sulcattas all with positive results. I am a firm believer in variety and try to feed a wide variety of fresh foods as well as prepared/ commercial foods. I offer the food in shallow dishes for grazing in-between fresh foods. My grassland species are all offered marsh grass or clover hay, in addition to the previously mentioned foods.

Hope this helps
Jeff

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
okay - just a dumb question.

Isn't that too much protein? I stopped using a product that had 13% protein. For a Hermann's I mean ...

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
pebbles mom said:
okay - just a dumb question.

Isn't that too much protein? I stopped using a product that had 13% protein. For a Hermann's I mean ...

It is not a dumb question Pebbles Mom, on the contrary, I cant wait to hear the answer :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Vegetable protein is different from animal protein. When you are told not to give your grassland tortoise protein they are talking about animal protein. Even hay has protein in it.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
And Yes feeding too much vegetable protein can be bad for some torts but all torts need some. Mazuri states it should be used with greens for your torts.

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
Crazy1 said:
And Yes feeding too much vegetable protein can be bad for some torts but all torts need some. Mazuri states it should be used with greens for your torts.

THANK YOU ... always good to have clarification !

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
Hi Isa,

I had the same problem about ordering the 25 lbs bags. I ended up order the two 25lbs bags and donating one bag to a local reptile rescue.

I still have a lot and I'm willing to send you a few pounds for free if you reimburse me for the shipping.

I'm Canadian tortoise lover too and want to provide your Hemy a little x-mas treat. I have two hermanns and they love the stuff.

Just PM me know how much mazuri you need and your address.

Thanks

Ton
Isa said:
Crazy1 said:
Sorry Isa I thought they could ship it too you. :(

They can ship it :) but they only have 25lbs bags available :( so no mazuri for Hermy.

Status
Not open for further replies.