Fav foods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuntdouble

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, Ca
What is your rf's favorite blend of food? Mine loves zucchini, and carrots but i dunno if thats good to feed him alot or not. Just looking for some other ideas, what type of leafy lettuce type food do they seem to prefer? Sorry about all the questions, new tort just want him to be happy.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Mine like collard greens the best, but their absolute FAVORITE food is earthworms ;) They also absolutely love portabella mushrooms, which are high in D2 and full of fiber and good for them.

Try purchasing some spring mix. You should not feed a lot of either carrots or zucchini, although sometimes it is okay. The spring mix has a lot of different leaf lettuces, and you can add some collards or kale or other very dark leafy greens to it, and even spinach is okay. Just don't feed the same thing every day.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Fingers and especially toes! But I try to keep the bulk of their diet dark leafy greens, veggies (all kinds), weeds and fruit. There are MANY lists of foodstuffs for torts. Redfoots will eat almost anything from these lists.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
One of 3 of my red foots just started to take super worms but the other 2 not sure what to do.

They all love cacti pads, watermelon, dandelions, clover, and mushrooms often go first from a choice of items.Oh and mango, strawberries.

I think red foots are one of the easiest species to feed as they like so many foods.
Occasionally I have given them rehydrated good quality cat food but not sure if I want to stick with worms etc instead. they go crazy for it though.
I know some people give them pinkie mice too.

I gave them a tiny bit of our home grown steak too-little slithers and again they went crazy for that.It was just odd watching them eat steak but I guess it was a good quality organic protein for them.

Louise

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
No problem Louise :) A lot of people over-think nutrition. It is important to have a variety, but how you deliver that variety can differ greatly. I have been feeding my tortoises this way for about 15 years (the first three I went the many-layer-salad routine) and I have never had a tortoise that was malnourished or had MBD.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Variety IS important, it just is not important to do it all at the same time, as Kristina's article points out.

Mine change their preferences often, possibly based on weather or season. They rarely like collards or strawberries but enjoy a lot of other things.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Honeydew melon and strawberrys thats always the first things that have gone...he loves them!!

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Ripe papaya is their absolute favorite. Hybiscus flowers and leaves run a close second.

stuntdouble

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, Ca
What about for there outdoor enclosure? What plants (common name please) should I plant with them. I know they like to hideout a lot, I would like for them to be edible as well. how can I plant weeds? and which type should I plant?

Status
Not open for further replies.