Favoring her right leg Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chino, CA
This morning when I took Daisy (leopard, 6 months) out to feed her she seemed to be favoring her right leg. She would walk on her leg but she seemed weak in that leg. When she was eating her greens she would not use the right leg to hold down her lettuce like she normally does. She kept the right leg to her side. I am the only one who holds her or takes her out so I know that she has not injured it at all. Tonight she really didn’t eat but a couple of bits and still is favoring that leg. She does walk but not strongly. Does anyone have any clue to what might be happing to her? Please Help I am very worried about her and do not want anything to be wrong! Help Please!

turtleluv88

5 Year Member
Before my three-toed box turtle was diagnosed with metabolic bone disease, he seemed to be very weak in his back legs. Sometimes he would even drag both of them. He wasn't really eating too much either. I took him to the vet and she said he had MBD, and suggested he start taking a calcium supplement. Maybe this is what's going on with your little one?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Feed her cactus pad 2-3X a week...lot of calcium in those. And make sure she's getting sunlight.

If she continues favoring her right leg, a trip to the vet is a good idea.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
Okay thank you everyone. I was giving her calcium 2x a week that I got from the breeder ( not sure what kind it is). I am going to throw that out and go get some new kind from the store. I will be increasing the calcium and putting in a UVB light. I have the UVA basking light and would take her out every day in the morning to get real sunlight. I would feed her in the sunlight in the mornings and if the weather and my schedule permitted me to take her out more than I did. Thank you everyone I will be making the changes TODAY!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
As mentioned above, it's most likely a skeletal problem, meaning she needs both calcium and vitamin D3 (from diet and UVB light, especially sunshine). Exercise is also important to maintain bone density.

I realize your tortoise is a leopard, but redfoots can develop muscle weakness in the hind legs if they don't get enough protein in their diet, which they would acquire in the wild from eating invertebrates and scavenging carcasses. Leopard tortoises are grazers and browsers, so they are not as omnivorous as redfoots. Nevertheless, if your tortoise's problem also has to do with muscles, it might be helpful to offer her a little bit of animal matter, in the form of a few slugs or snails, which also provide calcium from their shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.