Dirt stuck in back leg

Schianetta22

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Hi all,
I’m new here and I’m trying to find out how to help my tortoise out. I notice she had been limping and her foot is a little swollen. There is dirt stuck between her shell and back leg. I’ve tried to get it out, but she tense up her leg and blocks me from touching it. The dirt seems to be really packed in their. I don’t know what else to do? Any recommendations???

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
Hi all,
I’m new here and I’m trying to find out how to help my tortoise out. I notice she had been limping and her foot is a little swollen. There is dirt stuck between her shell and back leg. I’ve tried to get it out, but she tense up her leg and blocks me from touching it. The dirt seems to be really packed in their. I don’t know what else to do? Any recommendations???
have you tried to flush it out with some water? you could probably get it out while soaking her

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,
When I zoom in the picture gets too blurry. That doesn't look like dirt to me, and the tortoise appears to be on substate that is a different color than that.

I'd do a long warm soak and then try to flush it by running the tap on it with warm water.

zovick

10 Year Member!
That doesn't look like dirt to me. In the picture it looks like it's granules, like black sand.

I'd try to get some of it out with tweezers, but hold off on that til we get more opinions.

@Yvonne G

@zovick
I agree with Karen. I believe it would be easiest to get this out with tweezers. Try to just take a small bit at a time until it gets less tightly packed. It looks more like substrate (mulch mixture?) to me than it does like dirt. If so, that should be fairly easy to pull out piece by piece with tweezers. This will be less traumatic than trying to get the whole thing at one time and should result in less resistance from the tortoise. Just keep at it gradually over time.

Let us know how it goes.

Schianetta22

New Jersey
oh wow
could we get some pictures? your substrate is just dirt, right?
I agree with Karen. I believe it would be easiest to get this out with tweezers. Try to just take a small bit at a time until it gets less tightly packed. It looks more like substrate (mulch mixture?) to me than it does like dirt. If so, that should be fairly easy to pull out piece by piece with tweezers. This will be less traumatic than trying to get the whole thing at one time and should result in less resistance from the tortoise. Just keep at it gradually over time.

Let us know how it goes.
It’s organic dirt with coconut fiber. not sure but it may be cypress mulch? What is best? Just dirt? We let her soak in water and try little by little with a dull coffee stir. Today was the first time some stuff came out. I guess little by little.I don’t want to traumatize her.

zovick

10 Year Member!
It’s organic dirt with coconut fiber. not sure but it may be cypress mulch? What is best? Just dirt? We let her soak in water and try little by little with a dull coffee stir. Today was the first time some stuff came out. I guess little by little.I don’t want to traumatize her.
Don't you have some small tweezers? Like eyebrow plucking tweezers? Those should work well.

Best substrate is debatable. I always used plain cypress mulch for larger tortoises and Eco earth for small ones.

Schianetta22

New Jersey
Don't you have some small tweezers? Like eyebrow plucking tweezers? Those should work well.

Best substrate is debatable. I always used plain cypress mulch for larger tortoises and Eco earth for small ones.
Yes we trying tweezers as well. It’s packed in there good. The problem is when we touch the dirty she clinches her leg and then we can’t get to it.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Try putting her in a nice warm soak in the kitchen sink, while she is all stretched out and relaxed try using the rinse sprayer to help loosen the so called dirt. Make sure to keep the spray nozzle under the water, not to scare her so much. I use it on my Sucata when his butt get to dirty for just a rinse. Good luck

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Yes we trying tweezers as well. It’s packed in there good. The problem is when we touch the dirty she clinches her leg and then we can’t get to it.

What does it look like when you get a bit out? And you're saying that just touching the "dirt" makes her clinch her leg? Does the stuff get wet? Does it look like water soaks into it?

That just doesn't sound like a substance could be packed in so tight. And I wouldn't think it would be that painful to just touch the "dirt".

This is surely very strange.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
What does it look like when you get a bit out? And you're saying that just touching the "dirt" makes her clinch her leg? Does the stuff get wet? Does it look like water soaks into it?

That just doesn't sound like a substance could be packed in so tight. And I wouldn't think it would be that painful to just touch the "dirt".

This is surely very strange.
Agreed. Can you get better pictures. Something is not right here.

GMDVM

Ionia New York
Does not look like dirt to me either. Is there an odor? Does the debris you remove fall apart or dissolve in water? I would recommend you try to get her in with your veterinarian I would not poke at it too much