Feeding input request

Status
Not open for further replies.

clucey

5 Year Member
Hi all so I have had Tank for about a month now. I was hoping to get feedback on the amount he is given to eat. Currently he gets about 1.5lb of food a day consisting of timothy hay weeds mizuri and mixed greens with 1 hr of grazing
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TortForum mobile app

...woops hit the wrong button before i finished. Hes about 50 lbs and gets daily exercise. I am concerned about over feeding

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Once my sulcata was big enough to live outside full time, I never fed him again. He just eats any time he wants to, whatever is growing in his pen. Occasionally I'll cut off a branch from the mulberry tree and toss in his pen.

Think about it...if you were an animal that grazes or browses, would you rather graze/browse until you were full, or would you rather sit in front of a nice pile of food provided to you by the food god? In my opinion, if there is enough food for the tortoise to graze on, that's what he should be eating.

clucey

5 Year Member
Cool. He is an in door outdoor right now. So all day grazing is not the prime option due to circumstance but i get him out as much as possible. He seems to prefer i n doors as i think he may have been an apartment tort prior to us. Soon to build an outdoor enclosure at my dads yard so he can have at least weekend all arounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.