Fertiliser used on plants

Is plant food ok to use on plants going into a tortoise enclosure.

• Total voters

wings149

Location (City and/or State)
Kent
Hi All,
I am New to the Forum but have been reading a lot of posts for a while. I am getting ready to set up my Tortoises outdoor enclosure ready for the summer and have a couple of questions.

I know you shouldn't put shop bought plants into the enclosure because of pesticides and such like but I have just bought a Spider Plant for my Horsefelds and its recommended that I feed it plant food or fertiliser every couple of weeks. If I do this, would it be tortoise safe? I would hate to be feeling the plant for it to come through in the leaves and cause harm to my little fella's.

Many thanks

Kev

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings...

Personally I really wouldn’t worry about fertilizing a Spider Plant. Most of my Spiders grow well without any additives...

But, if you really want to fertilize, think about some “pet friendly” fertilizers and only use sparingly.... good luck

Here are a few types of safe fertilizers for pets:

Seaweed – Seaweed is rich in nitrogen. You can buy it ground up but it’s more common as a spray-on liquid.
Fish emulsion – While fish emulsion is a great fertilizer option, remember that this is a quick-release fertilizer and it can burn plants if you use too much.
Manure – Composting for three or four months removes much of the smell and makes it safer for pets and the garden. Be aware that horse manure may contain weed seeds.
Compost – Compost is one of the best fertilizers for gardens and if you make your own it’s free.
Bone Meal/Blood Meal – Bone meal and blood meal are natural products.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Fertilizer That Is Pet Friendly: Pet Safe Fertilizer For Lawns And Gardens https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/special/organic/pet-friendly-fertilizer.htm

wings149

Kent
Thank you everyone. Its been bothering me for a while but there are some great suggestions. I wanted to avoid using any kind of chemicals.

Thank you.