Filter size for 75 gal turtle aquarium

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I'm going to upgrade from a 40 gallon breeder to a 75 gallon tank for my adult razor backed musk turtle.
What size filter do folks recommend?
And what make do you like for that size? I've most often used filters in the Fluval series, but am willing to try a different brand if enough people find it superior for that volume.
Thanks!
Mooz :)

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Hi Mooz,
I have a number of 75 gallon aquariums that I house mud and musk turtles in. I've tried a number of both internal and canister filters over about 35 years. I've used several Marineland 350 Magnum canister filters in the past and although they do work well, they are a bit difficult to service and seal the top on after cleaning. Also, the impeller is located on the bottom of the filter and thus any bit of sand, gravel or charcoal filter media can get down there and ruin the magnet.
The various 'ReptoFilters' made by Tetra are so-so for smaller tanks with low water levels but are ineffective for larger tanks.
In my experience the Penn-Plax Cascade canister filters (they come in various sizes) have been the most efficient, inexpensive, easy to maintain and reliable filters on the market. For 40 to 75 gallon aquariums I use the Cascade 1000. Right now I am operating three of these units with one being in service for some ten years. They can also be modified somewhat with their hose connections.
I think they are about $100.00 on Amazon.
Here are some pics...the filter bodies are made of blue plastic

20230123_190625.jpg

20230130_164710.jpg

Okapizebra

5 Year Member
West Palm Beach, Florida
I agree, I also love the cascade canister filters and I use the 700 on my 40 gallon tank for my musk turtle. I run it in conjuction with an aquaclear 70 hang on back filter, although honestly I think the canister would be more than enough but I tend to over filter my tanks. I think the 1000 would be perfect for a 75.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Hi Mooz,
I have a number of 75 gallon aquariums that I house mud and musk turtles in. I've tried a number of both internal and canister filters over about 35 years. I've used several Marineland 350 Magnum canister filters in the past and although they do work well, they are a bit difficult to service and seal the top on after cleaning. Also, the impeller is located on the bottom of the filter and thus any bit of sand, gravel or charcoal filter media can get down there and ruin the magnet.
The various 'ReptoFilters' made by Tetra are so-so for smaller tanks with low water levels but are ineffective for larger tanks.
In my experience the Penn-Plax Cascade canister filters (they come in various sizes) have been the most efficient, inexpensive, easy to maintain and reliable filters on the market. For 40 to 75 gallon aquariums I use the Cascade 1000. Right now I am operating three of these units with one being in service for some ten years. They can also be modified somewhat with their hose connections.

View attachment 354479

View attachment 354480
Thank you so much! 😃👍

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I agree, I also love the cascade canister filters and I use the 700 on my 40 gallon tank for my musk turtle. I run it in conjuction with an aquaclear 70 hang on back filter, although honestly I think the canister would be more than enough but I tend to over filter my tanks. I think the 1000 would be perfect for a 75.
Thank you!!!! 😃👍

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I also tend to over filter and have used additional smaller hang-on-tank units. But my Staurotypus salvini find them irresistible and always end up destroying them...usually in the middle of the night, which is quite disturbing to one's sleep!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hi Mooz,

View attachment 354479

View attachment 354480

Wow! Those tanks are ultra clear! Nice job