Finding him on his back!!

tanya

Hi I have just cleaned and added more coco coir to my tortoise enclosure I have gone to check on him and twice he has been on his back! Any idea y? Could it b because it's to high and he can see over the edge, any help would be good

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
If he can see over the wall, that's prob. why, he tries and climbs and then falls over, less substrate, or higher walls.

tanya

Sorry I can't upload pics for some reason will try add some asap, how long can they survive on their backs? Worried as I'm working tomorrow :-/

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Sorry I can't upload pics for some reason will try add some asap, how long can they survive on their backs? Worried as I'm working tomorrow :-/

the dehydrate quickly and stress easily on they're back's is there anything you have in the corner he's possible climbing on?

tanya

No it's just the walls he climbs up on, then falls, I had just added new coco coir and he was walking around investigating everything, so Im hoping now he's settled down again and won't do it :-/

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Try removing a few inches of the substrate. You could cover the top with a breathable cloth/material so he can't out as much.