First Build For My First Tort. Lots of Pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WamBamCam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Tx
attachment.php

Hi, My names Cameron and I'm located in Texas.
This is my first tort and build. My Ibera Greek will be arriving in the next 12 hours, so please giving feedback!

I started with 3 sheets of 3/4" ply wood 4' by 8' and turned it into a 6' by 3' enclosure. Outside is stained . Inside is completely vinyl wrapped and waterproof.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Left side features (Basking Area)

100 watt basking light

Nice big rock to bask on

Large hide log

Mixture of grounded peat moss mixed with hardwood mulch and aspen wood chips sprinkled on top.

Hottest spot right under the lamp is 105F

attachment.php

Middle features (The Hide)

Substrate consisting of peat mixed with hardwood mulch and EcoEarth coconut fiber sprinkled on top.

With lid closed

Temp 77F

Humidity 70%

attachment.php

Right side features ( Feeding Area)

Substrate is the same has middle

24" 17 watt uvb strip. Mounted 13" from the substrate. According to the box the tort should receive 2-5 uvi at that height

Water dish

Feeding rock

Climbing rocks with log

And live hide plant

Temp 75F

Humidity 60%

More pics!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
excellent job, i'd be careful with that water bowl if it's a hatchling it'll drown...if it's an adult youll be good

WamBamCam

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Tx
Thank for the feedback I really appreciate it and nice website.

Yes I had my concerns with that as well. I wanted to basically put the whole enclosure together and once my tort arrives I will surely adjust everything accordingly.

WamBamCam

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Tx
The inside is not paint. I believe using paint is a huge no no unless it was a water based paint, but most of the practical paints we would find at our local hardware stores are filled with many harmful chemicals. The material I used is called vinyl which is basically a big sticker. You mainly see vinyl used to make decals for cars.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
WOW it is vinyl that came out GREAT.... I'm going to see what they have at home-depot tomorrow....WELL today. :p Save me some time too...
I was going to paint my enclosure then air it out for a week or 2. But I don't know still up in the air right now. I'll check the vinyl out tomorrow and see what I can get my hands on.
Thank You :)

WamBamCam

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Tx
Idk what kind of material your enclosure is made out of, but if its wood i think you'll need to seal ( sealing is necessary to prevent water from rotting the wood) the wood first before you paint it and sealing it will cause there to be another chemical exposed to your tort.
I weighed a lot of options when deciding what to line my enclosure with and my top choices were pond liner (kinda pricey they have it at Home Depot), shower curtain , and vinyl. I chose vinyl because it already had an adhesive backing.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
That looks awesome!!! You did a great job! :) :)

Welcome to the forum!!!! :)

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
SoCal
where did you purchase your vinyl? internet? home stores? by the way, your enclosure is veryvery cool.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
Re: RE: First Build For My First Tort. Lots of Pics!

AustinASU said:
excellent job, i'd be careful with that water bowl if it's a hatchling it'll drown...if it's an adult youll be good

Nothing wrong with this statement! It's great to be concerned for the tort, but this water dish is actually really good. I have had it since I got my hatchlings. It's designed so they can easily climb out of it once their in it. I just added more water as they grew. For my Hatchlings I put in just over a half inch of water. They had no issues :D good luck with your new tort. Im jealous I could never build that haha

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Cameron, and welcome to the Forum!

What kind of bulb do you have over on the basking side? Reason I ask is because the MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb) instructions on the package tell you to mount the light vertical and not at an angle. This lengthens the life of the bulb. Also, if it IS a MVB, the fixture should be a larger diameter 'bell' fixture to help dissipate the heat.

WamBamCam

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Tx
rayneygirl said:
where did you purchase your vinyl? internet? home stores? by the way, your enclosure is veryvery cool.

Vinyls pretty hard to find, you won't find it in your local stores. I got mine from my friend, he makes decals and he gets it from a specialized store which you have to be part of a company to purchase it. There's always the Internet.

Yvonne G said:
Hi Cameron, and welcome to the Forum!

What kind of bulb do you have over on the basking side? Reason I ask is because the MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb) instructions on the package tell you to mount the light vertical and not at an angle. This lengthens the life of the bulb. Also, if it IS a MVB, the fixture should be a larger diameter 'bell' fixture to help dissipate the heat.

Thanks for your concern. It's just a regular 100 watt Exo terra intense basking bulb.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1377097429.906282.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1377097454.939759.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Glad to see another San Antonian on board.

I'm not too concerned about the heat from the bulb but it appears to be really close to the basking spot, might pose an issue for his eyes.

Looks great though, I really like it.

WamBamCam

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Tx
Yeah i remounted the light to have it shine from over head now
ImageUploadedByTortForum1377196279.123798.jpg
And I added another heat lamp on the other side
ImageUploadedByTortForum1377196305.189566.jpg
I'm having very hard time finding weeds. I've been to a few nurseries and whole foods, but no luck. Do you happen to grow your own?

Last edited by a moderator:

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
Do you have like plans or blueprints for this??? I really like it and id like to make one or something. I think it's a great build! If so pm me please. Thanks :)

jfb2733

5 Year Member
Claymont, DE
Yes if you have plans I would like to see them as well. I am going to have to build one similar when I move into my new home in 2 months. You Great Job with this.

WamBamCam

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Tx
Blgreek08 said:
Do you have like plans or blueprints for this??? I really like it and id like to make one or something. I think it's a great build! If so pm me please. Thanks :)

Pm sent

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Very nice job. I really don't like tort tables but yours is the first I've seen that I would actually have. I love how you have put so much thought and planning into this before you got your tort. Just shows your gonna be a really good tort daddy! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.