First time owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter111

5 Year Member
Hi all, I'm glad I found this place. It seems like a very good resource. Yesterday I purchased my first tortoise (cherry headed red foot) and built a terrarium when I got home. The tortoise is 4 months old. I was told it would take some time to adapt to its new environment but it was eager to eat last night and today it has spent quite a bit of time burrowing and exploring its new home. I look forward to learning much more about its species on this forum.

Any tips for a first time owner of a 4 month old?

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
Hi Dexter. You are on the right forum to learn, but not from me. I don't know anything about Red Foots. I would love to see a picture of your baby and her home. Also please post info about how you are caring for her and I am sure you will get some great advice, much better than whatever the pet store told you LOL.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum Dexter ( love your show ) some one that has RF will be a long to help you out we love pic's when you get a chance :)

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Welcome. There are some very knowledgable red foot owners on this forum.

Good luck. May we see some pics of your tort and your enclosure?

Is your name Dexter? Where are you located?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Welcome to the forum, there are a lot of very knowledgeable tort owners on this site who are always willing to help..

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Welcome to the forum!! We would love to know more about your tortoise's enclosure, diet, and how you plan on caring for it. Pictures are always great too :D

Dexter111

5 Year Member
Thanks all. I will post a picture shortly. Dexter is what I named the Tortoise, not my name. I'm located in the San Francisco Bay Area. Today I bought some Kale and Collared greens. Fed him that along with a small amount of cut up apple, zucchini and mango. The person I bought it from said I should feed him once a day, a pile about twice his size.

I put him in water for about 30 minutes this morning.

Last night, eating lettuce when we got home
2rz5gs5.jpg

His terrarium as it looks now. He ate for quite a while and spread it out. He's underneath his log canopy now.
b9chhc.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dexter111:

Welcome to the forum!!

Since your tortoise's name is Dexter (and a good name it is!), what should we call you?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome, you came to the best forum for answers!
hes a cutie, and make sure you give him a good diet, etc!

Dexter111

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Dexter111:

Welcome to the forum!!

Since your tortoise's name is Dexter (and a good name it is!), what should we call you?

Thanks! My name is Gil.

Dexter111

5 Year Member
Is placing my ceramic heater on top of my cage / partially on the wood, a fire hazard? Do all of you have your heater on a clamp?

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Hi and welcome Gil,

Yes having a ceramic heater on wood is a fire hazard, Although yours does not look there is to much wood, just keep an eye on it for scorch marks,
I have and I think most members here have got them in a clamp lamp.
Lovely baby, congrats on your new addition.:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome
Does the holder for the CHE come into contact with the wood? If so I would say move it so it does not, I would consider it a fire hazard

Dexter111

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. I bought a lamp stand and hooked it up this morning. Now it hovers over the terrarium.

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
Welcome Gil, after you get settled in you should go to the Enclosures sub forum and see if anything there interests you. There are some real good ideas for enclosures there and it may help you to decide how you want your little gal/guy's environment to be. This place was a godsend to me and my sons tort. We knew absolutely nothing about care for torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.