First time tortoise owner; am I freaking out?

heyitspheeel

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Ana, CA
Hi all.

I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe during this quarantine. I picked up this red foot tortoise, Speedo, roughly 3 weeks ago from a breeder nearby. I feel that he/she has been growing pretty well, but I am getting concerned about the bottom of the shell and how it looks like it's been slowly "chipping" away. Also, I noticed that the stomach looks different compared to the others I've seen.

Sorry if this question has already been asked. I just hope that I am not freaking out.

Thanks in advance!

1926.jpg1879.jpg1789.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It looks like this Tortoise maybe had some shell fungus going on pretty badly in the Plastron at one point. It also looks like it's still occurring on the edge of the carapace in the third picture. Get some athletes foot cream or any anti fungal cream and apply it to that area and the Plastron for a few days. That should clear it up.

KhairulTort

Colombia
Interested to see what happens! Good luck!

just out of curiosity, is there any smell from the little guy? I might be imagining things, or it may be because he’s wet, but the skin round his legs looks a bit funny...

Again not qualified to tell you anything. But I’d make sure there’s nothing growing there either.

heyitspheeel

Santa Ana, CA
Thank you all for your help! I'll definitely pick up some anti-fungal cream later today and start it.

Interested to see what happens! Good luck!

just out of curiosity, is there any smell from the little guy? I might be imagining things, or it may be because he’s wet, but the skin round his legs looks a bit funny...

Again not qualified to tell you anything. But I’d make sure there’s nothing growing there either.

Does tortoise have a smell? haha I tried smelling his "stomach", there is a smell. Its hard to describe. I did soak him for a bit in the water prior to taking the picture, so that could explain why his leg looks wet and funny! lol

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thank you all for your help! I'll definitely pick up some anti-fungal cream later today and start it.

Does tortoise have a smell? haha I tried smelling his "stomach", there is a smell. Its hard to describe. I did soak him for a bit in the water prior to taking the picture, so that could explain why his leg looks wet and funny! lol
Good luck and Let us know how it goes.

KhairulTort

Colombia

I guess the main thing is that nothing smells off. I just smelled mine just to check haha. Nothing notable.