First vet visit a success (Syracuse NY area)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I just came home from Coagi & Rafiki's first vet checkup. We saw Dr. Edward Spindel in Baldwinsville, NY as he was a vet listed on the forum. Overall I was pretty happy with his knowledge and approach.

I sent a Fecal exam in yesterday, came up negative for parasites. Dr. Spindel agreed it was probably a false negative and did a smear on a poop I found this morning in their hide, he couldn't find anything but admits it's likely they have some parasites. He recommended the once every 6 month de-worm approach with Fenbendazole (panacur) just to be safe.

He said everything is looking good and to keep doing whatever it is I'm doing. This said I'd like to thank all of you on the forum because most of what I'm doing I've based off of your knowledge, experiences, and advice. Especially you experts, Mark, Allegra (breeder), Terry O, Jacqui, Kristina, Yvonne, and Tom - thanks guys!

If you're looking for a decent vet near Syracuse, NY, Dr. Spindel seems pretty good. He did his PhD with alligator snapping turtles and kept leopards and sulcatas for some time (not currently). He doesn't seem big on medicating unless it's absolutely necessary, which I liked. He was also good with charges, knowing I'm a graduate student, he only charged me for half a visit ($47 rather than $100) and told me to get Fenbendazole elsewhere because it was likely much cheaper than what they were selling it for. He's off to a good start in my book!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Great new's:). It is also great that you started a baseline for them while they are so young!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Good news. It is good to have a vet that you trust. Curious, what age did he recommend starting the every-6-months treatment?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
DesertGrandma said:
Good news. It is good to have a vet that you trust. Curious, what age did he recommend starting the every-6-months treatment?

We didn't talk about that, maybe I'll give him a call and inquire, it would be good information to know.

Anyone else have any insights from their vet concerning age and de-worming?

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I feed a little diatomaceous earth occasionally to help control parasites. Aside from new breeders I might buy,I really don't have a parasite problem. I do fecals every six months to check.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
jackrat said:
I feed a little diatomaceous earth occasionally to help control parasites. Aside from new breeders I might buy,I really don't have a parasite problem. I do fecals every six months to check.

I have some food-grade diatomaceous earth and had considered this, I'm glad you shared, otherwise I might have never gone through with it! Just sprinkle on a little like Ca dust?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
jackrat said:

I've used DE for killing ants, etc. but have never heard that it could be fed to the torts. Are you sure this can be fed for parasites? I would like to know more about your source. Thank you.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I've fed it to dogs for years and tortoises since I started keeping them. I just sprinkle it like calcium roughly once a month. I order food grade off the internet. I've used many different suppliers,but it's all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.