First vet visit

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Chug went to the vet today for a wellness check.
I'm quite sure he has never been to one before, so I just thought it was a good thing to do.
I was mostly interested in an x-ray to make sure he was not developing bladder stones, or has a gut filled with rocks and gravel.
He has been acting very healthy, eating good, looks good....because...he got a clean bill of health! Yeah!
A tiny bit of grit and a couple small pebbles, which he will probably pass when he empties his gut. No bladder stones, lungs good, and good strong bones, weight 2086 gms.
Chug was cooperative when he pooped on the exam table, so that's being sent off to check for parasites and giardia.
He also received praise for being a good boy, easy to handle and examine, and not causing anyone to fear for their fingers!
His x-rays...this is with him on his back.
View attachment 252579

This he's right side up.
View attachment 252580

This is straight from the front.
View attachment 252581

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Chug went to the vet today for a wellness check.
I'm quite sure he has never been to one before, so I just thought it was a good thing to do.
I was mostly interested in an x-ray to make sure he was not developing bladder stones, or has a gut filled with rocks and gravel.
He has been acting very healthy, eating good, looks good....because...he got a clean bill of health! Yeah!
A tiny bit of grit and a couple small pebbles, which he will probably pass when he empties his gut. No bladder stones, lungs good, and good strong bones, weight 2086 gms.
Chug was cooperative when he pooped on the exam table, so that's being sent off to check for parasites and giardia.
He also received praise for being a good boy, easy to handle and examine, and not causing anyone to fear for their fingers!
His x-rays...this is with him on his back.
View attachment 252579

This he's right side up.
View attachment 252580

This is straight from the front.
View attachment 252581

It won’t let me open the attachments but I’m sure glad all went well..

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Strange - I swear they worked for me yesterday. Not sure what changed.

EDIT: It works on the Android app.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well, the vet just called me. Chug has a few pinworms. Vet says this is normal and de-worming is not needed. Having learned this on tfo, I happily agreed.

What I did not realize was that after he reviews them, the x-rays are sent to a tortoise radiology expert. Via the vet office, the radiologist wanted to know how Chug lives, his husbandry, and what he eats.
Now, of course, I'm worried, and must wait til Tues for vet to call with detailed radiology report.

Anybody on here good at reading x-rays, despite less than perfect cell phone pics?

@Yvonne G
@Tom
@Markw84
Anyone else?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Maybe because of the grit and the small pepples? I would be worried too.
I also wondered if urates can be seen even if not hardened into a stone. He's been passing quite a lot lately, so I have stepped up his soaking. Guess I need to investigate what food I'm giving that is contributing to that.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I just talked to the vet. Chug's x-rays are fine! Yeah! His diet is good, his care is good, he has no issues that can be seen on x-ray.
Vet said the radiologist occasionally requests details on husbandry, living conditions, and diet for general informational purposes. Nothing to be concerned about.
I'm so happy for my handsome young man!20181001_130744.jpeg

For Love of Everything Shell

5 Year Member
I just talked to the vet. Chug's x-rays are fine! Yeah! His diet is good, his care is good, he has no issues that can be seen on x-ray.
Vet said the radiologist occasionally requests details on husbandry, living conditions, and diet for general informational purposes. Nothing to be concerned about.
I'm so happy for my handsome young man!View attachment 253118

That face! [emoji7] He looks like he knows you saw "inside of him" and he can't hide his secrets anymore!!!!