Flaky shell

LianeDucote

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
IMG_1663.JPG my Russian tortoise has had a flaky shell since I bought him. I thought with proper nutrition, soaking and sunlight it would stop. Is it shell rot or is he growing? He's active and is eating. Worried about my little guy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What you're seeing is old - either injury, too close to the light and the new growth burned, or something we have no way of knowing.

There's nothing to do for it, as it's old and healed. You just have to allow nature to take its course. Maybe it will all flake off and eventually look more natural, and maybe it will always be like it is. Just remember, the new growth (new growth happens between the designs on the shell, exactly where the flaking is happening) is sensitive to touch and heat.

LianeDucote

Las Vegas, NV
Oh what a relief! Thank you. I promise to keep treating him right even if he's not a cover model tortoise because Mr Turtle is our special tortoise ❤️

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL! "not a cover model. . ." I love it! . These are the special ones.

Ghostfacemacher

Missouri
EC5A630C-385D-4E4F-8613-F8A1057FF101.jpeg90705C26-E910-4CA7-8DF6-38931F3D6322.jpeg
I was wondering if my Russian is okay too?? I just got her and want to make sure she’s okay? Is this normal flaking or is she sick