Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My gosh...has it been that long? Almost 20 years ago, an acquaintance from the local Reptile club took a job at the Philadelphia zoo. He was in a world of hurt because of all the turtles and tortoises that he had. I mean...a LOT! I hardly knew the guy, but really have a soft spot for turtles and tortoises, plus I lived on a nice, large 5 acre parcel of land and had plenty of room, so I told him I would be glad to care for his turtles and tortoises until he could send for them. He was really desperate, because, like I said, we hardly knew each other. But he came over and we set up temporary pens for all his animals. He had a nice little breeding colony of Florida box turtles (and its from him that I got my love of the Manouria tortoises). I had his animals for a few months while he set up housing for them in his Philly APARTMENT (Yipes), then bit by bit, I packaged them up and sent them to him.

As I was breaking down the temp pens, I found a little dime-sized hole in the dirt next to one of the fences. I dug around in there and found several baby Florida box turtles. My new found friend told me to keep them, and I kept two and adopted out the rest.

My two floridas turned out to be males. I've been having a heck of a time finding females to go with them. I've tried to keep them separate, but they don't want to be two lone males in solitary confinement, and they keep escaping into the 3-toe pen, where there are lots of females.

This a.m. as I was walking past the box turtle pen to feed and clean up after the horse (wearing a thick jacket, scarf and gloves), I glanced over and this is what met my eyes:

floridabox-2.jpg

It was too cold for me, but he thought it felt good enough to get up and come out.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Wow what a great story ! I love reptile people because we are all so loving and nice to eachother :) so u still don't have a female FBT after 20 years ?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
He's beautiful! I have 3 females and I'm hoping for hatchlings this year. :)

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
just on a side note..whenever I see your posts..i read you lod name as emy semys...instead of emys emys..lol..
i always look outside in hopes of finding a turtle, even tho i dont have outside turtles.....what a nice suprise it would be...but I am getting a male this weekend so i just might find babies some day.....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I bought some hatchlings from a fellow here on the forum, but they're not big enough yet to sex.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
emysemys said:
I bought some hatchlings from a fellow here on the forum, but they're not big enough yet to sex.

Very cool ! Well I hope at least one is a female :)

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
he is very nice :) and what a wonderful surprise for you to find in the pen :) its too bad one didnt turn out to be a female but maybe one of the new hatchling will turn out to be :)

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
Cool story :)
I would be nervous if i where him, like i have said before i am a huge worry wart!

Status
Not open for further replies.