Food from nature!

philipgreece

Location (City and/or State)
Kefalonia
Hello all people! As i have said many times i collect every safe food for my tortoises form nature! I was today in the area that i was collecting dandelions and sow thistle in winter and i saw cats there and i saw feces! I think that's the problem with protozoans that vet Found in my tortoises! I have to say that everything i collect I wash them many times! So i really im sad because i collect hibiscus, cactus, mexican petunia and evening primrose! But i haven't seen anything strange in their roots of these flowers! Until i plant in autumn the right food in my house please can you give me any advise? Is it safe if i wash them many times or im gonna face serious problem? Thank you! In September i will send feces samples again! Despite that the weight is ok and the gain,they eat normally and feces are fine!

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello all people! As i have said many times i collect every safe food for my tortoises form nature! I was today in the area that i was collecting dandelions and sow thistle in winter and i saw cats there and i saw feces! I think that's the problem with protozoans that vet Found in my tortoises! I have to say that everything i collect I wash them many times! So i really im sad because i collect hibiscus, cactus, mexican petunia and evening primrose! But i haven't seen anything strange in their roots of these flowers! Until i plant in autumn the right food in my house please can you give me any advise? Is it safe if i wash them many times or im gonna face serious problem? Thank you! In September i will send feces samples again! Despite that the weight is ok and the gain,they eat normally and feces are fine!
I doubt the cat feces on the ground had anything to do with the leaves you are feeding our tortoise. I collect wild food almost every day. There are enter ecosystems of animals living in these areas. Birds, many mammals, reptiles, loads of insects of all types, and all of them are pooping all over the place all day long. I don't rinse or wash my leaves. I collect 3-5 buckets full during weed season, so it would take hours to effective rinse all of that. All the same flora and fauna live in my pens with my tortoises, so I really don't see how it could be an issue. The cats are likely eating the animals that want to eat your tortoise weeds. The cat poop down on the ground breaks down, with help from the insects, bacteria, and fungi, and fertilizes the soil the weeds are growing in.