FOOD RECALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Oh yeah. Heard about this on several other herp sites... Never thought to post about it here, though. Thanks for posting it, Terry.

Here's some more info for anyone interested.

The recall is for batches from May 2009 until July 23, 2010. They posted a notice on their website: https://micedirect.com/2010recall/index.htm

And here's the notice from the FDA's website: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm220367.htm

"FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- July 26, 2010 - Biggers & Callaham LLC., D/B/A Mice Direct of Cleveland Georgia is recalling frozen reptile feed (mice, rats, chicks), because it has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. Salmonella can affect animals and there is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products. People handling contaminated pet food can become infected with Salmonella, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the product or any surfaces exposed to these products.

Healthy people infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms. Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers.

The frozen reptile feed was distributed in all states, except Hawaii, through pet stores and by mail order and direct delivery.

Frozen reptile feed was shipped in plastic bags with the following product codes M-SP100, M-P100, M-PF100, M-F100, M-H100, M-W50, M-A50, M-JA25, R-P100, R-F50, R-PUP50, R-W50, R-S50, R-M20, R-L10,R-J5, R-C5, R-M3 followed by E9, F9, G9, H9, I9, J9, K9, L9 or A10, B10, C10, D10, E10, F10, G10 and whole frozen chicks in 25 count bags.

Human illnesses that may be related to the frozen reptile feed have been reported in 17 states. The recalled product should not be fed to animals, even after heating in a microwave oven, since the heating may not be adequate to kill Salmonella. The recall is based upon sampling by the FDA of frozen mice. The company continues their investigation.

Products shipped after 07/24/2010, will be irradiated in a similar manner as raw food for human consumption in order to address the Salmonella issue associated with these products.

Consumers who purchased reptile feed from Mice Direct are urged to contact Mice Direct by telephone at 888-747-0736 from 9:00a.m-5:00p.m EST Monday-Friday or by e-mail at [email protected] for instructions concerning this recall and for credits towards replacement of unused product."

snake_girl85

5 Year Member
I heard about that, but didn't know it was from Micedirect... Thanks for the heads up.

I am curious though - Has anyone tested other frozen mice to determine that they are salmonella free? Salmonella is a pretty widespread and naturally occurring bacteria, and it amazes me that people wouldn't consider it common sense to wash ones hands after handling a dead mouse!!

On a slight tangent, I hate how reptiles are constantly blamed for salmonella, when other animals are just as likely to carry it... A guy I knew worked with reptiles, and he was blamed when his young son was infected, yet the likely source of salmonella was the fact that the child's mother had a job that involved working with raw chicken and she never washed afterwards.

Moral of the story... Wash your hands!!! :D

*edit* Ah, I see that the FDA did randomly sample frozen mice... Honestly I am surprised that this company was the only one that tested positive!

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Yes, people SHOULD be washing their hands after handling dead rodents. But a lot of people don't. Who knows why. Forget to, don't realize about cross-contamination, don't give a crap, think the freezing will kill the ickies, think they're invincible? It's rather tragic, but what can you do? There are a lot more idiots in the world than there are people who know better.

I think my favorite thing about the recall is their almost-recommendation to microwave the food items. Err... Ever put a frodent in the microwave? NOT a good idea, LOL!

Slightly OT, but.. What a fantastic collection you have, snake_girl. Ever planning on sharing pics with us all? ;) The Fox snakes, especially, sound neat... Then, maybe I'm biased... I'm a total sucker for North American colubrids. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.