Found a UVB transmitting plastic sheet!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Have you found a supplier and gotten pricing yet? I think that's the step that trips a lot of people up.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
jaizei said:
Have you found a supplier and gotten pricing yet? I think that's the step that trips a lot of people up.

Yes, on the same webpage you can click on a link called "visit online shop" :)

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland

EKLC

5 Year Member
it is about $700 for a 10' x 7' sheet

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
This is awesome! I hope to have the money to build a large greenhouse out of this one day!

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Yep, found the transmission spectrum online and looks like this will work. However I do somewhat wonder if the UV transmission is permanent or if it degrades over time.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
peasinapod said:
http://www.acrylite.net/product/acrylite/en/products/multi-skin-sheet/alltop/pages/default.aspx

I have a coldframe made out of alltop. I don't know about the pricing though.

Here something about its properties, though i don't know who produced the alltop I am using. http://www.usgr.com/greenhouse-coverings/acrylic-twinwall-sheets.php

i seem to find acrylite® alltop and plexiglas® alltop. Don't ask me about the difference. My post is probably very confusing. Sorry!

Yes alltop is good too. Just found a local seller of alltop. Could you post a pic of your coldframe?

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
27zyzp3.jpg

It is about 1 x 1m. Height is 75cm and 55 cm. The price was 660 euros without shipping. I can't really tell a lot about it as I haven't used it for a long time but I can tell you that it heats up really well even if there's not a lot of sun. (This also means that it can become a death trap during warm weather if you don't have some kind of automatic opening system for the roof.)

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
peasinapod said:
27zyzp3.jpg

It is about 1 x 1m. Height is 75cm and 55 cm. The price was 660 euros without shipping. I can't really tell a lot about it as I haven't used it for a long time but I can tell you that it heats up really well even if there's not a lot of sun. (This also means that it can become a death trap during warm weather if you don't have some kind of automatic opening system for the roof.)

Wow thanks for sharing. Your outdoor enclosure looks fantastic (I might copy some of your setup) :). That coldframe is made by a german company, right? I have been thinking about getting it too but the 25% import tax and shipping puts it at about 1000 euros. I think I will buy alltop sheets and make my own.

Does yours have an automatic opening system? How do you control the temps in there? I wonder if torts always know when to get out of there or if there is a danger of them overheating in coldframes?

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
gtc said:
Wow thanks for sharing. Your outdoor enclosure looks fantastic (I might copy some of your setup) :). That coldframe is made by a german company, right? I have been thinking about getting it too but the 25% import tax and shipping puts it at about 1000 euros. I think I will buy alltop sheets and make my own.

Does yours have an automatic opening system? How do you control the temps in there? I wonder if torts always know when to get out of there or if there is a danger of them overheating in coldframes?

I have an automatic opener which works without electricity. You should be able to find something like this quite easily. Google shows quite a few results if you look for "automatic opener coldframe" etc.

mn2br9.jpg

Most are filled with oil, which expands as it heats up. This causes the lid to be pushed open. The great thing is, that it reacts gradual. If it isn't very hot the lid won't open all the way.

During summer even an opener won't be enough sometimes. On german forums they advise you to always have a shaded part inside the coldframe and to cover the top during summer, to shield it from the sun and preventing creating an oven.

As long as the entrance isn't blocked I think a tortoise should know when it becomes too hot, but I plan maybe even removing the lid or even the whole coldframe during the hottest parts of summer.

A last thing: while planning your diy coldframe I would recommend you choosing a height where you could still install a heat lamp for longer cold stretches. I don't have a picture of my lamp, sadly..

Sorry for the long post and ramble. :p

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
peasinapod said:
gtc said:

I have an automatic opener which works without electricity. You should be able to find something like this quite easily. Google shows quite a few results if you look for "automatic opener coldframe" etc.

mn2br9.jpg

Most are filled with oil, which expands as it heats up. This causes the lid to be pushed open. The great thing is, that it reacts gradual. If it isn't very hot the lid won't open all the way.

During summer even an opener won't be enough sometimes. On german forums they advise you to always have a shaded part inside the coldframe and to cover the top during summer, to shield it from the sun and preventing creating an oven.

As long as the entrance isn't blocked I think a tortoise should know when it becomes too hot, but I plan maybe even removing the lid or even the whole coldframe during the hottest parts of summer.

A last thing: while planning your diy coldframe I would recommend you choosing a height where you could still install a heat lamp for longer cold stretches. I don't have a picture of my lamp, sadly..

Sorry for the long post and ramble. :p

Thanks for all the great info. I'll look into the automatic openers. The oil filled ones sound good.