Found abandoned RES! HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueturtle

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Not sure if this is the wrong section for this so apologies if it is.

I live is southern california and was visiting my mom in the Upland/Ontario area when I came across what looks to be a full grown red ear slider abandoned in a large tub that's used at bbq's to fill with ice and drinks.

Poor thing was covered in algae!!! the little bit of water that it was in was so murky you couldnt see the turtle unless it poked its head out. I brought him back to my mom's house and scrubbed his shell to take off the algae and noticed he has what looks like a bit of shell rot around the edges of his scutes.

unfortunately i live in twentynine palms with my fiance who's about to get out of the marines and we'll be moving so i can't take him back home with us. its just too hectic with our current pets.

I can't seem to find any rescues nearby that can take him. my last resort would be to take him to the local animal shelter. even though its a nice shelter i'm scared they dont have the proper space for him even if only temporary.

was hoping someone on the forums knew of a place or would even be able to take him in. i'd trust a user on here more knowing that they know their stuff.

if anyone can help please shoot me a message.

my zipcode is 91786 if you want to check for distance.

DSCN0501.JPGDSCN0502.JPGDSCN0503.JPGDSCN0504.JPGDSCN0505.JPG

bump

anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Nice save!! And great clean up :) I have no idea, but I'm sure someone will be along with some helpful suggestions for rescues/potential owners!

NickWag

5 Year Member
Mandeville, LA
I can't help with rescue info., as I live in South Louisiana. However, I can tell you that the turtle is not a RES. It's a slider, but not RES. The carapace is more lightly colored than RES.

blueturtle

10 Year Member!
SoCal
Not sure if RES also stands for something else but I'm almost positive its a red eared slider. I used to owna couple many years ago.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TortForum mobile app

lokenica

5 Year Member
I currently have 19 RES's and I believe it is. I have a couple who have lighter carapaces than others. I just think the poor little guy bleached out while sitting in that tub a while.....

NickWag

5 Year Member
Mandeville, LA
RES = red-eared slider. And, that shell is way too light-colored to be a red-eared slider. They are a native species to South Louisiana, and I've raised a few of them over the years. They have a dark green carapace.

In that case, I stand corrected. I've seen so many of them, and never even the driest one being that light. However, if you have them that color, then I imagine I'm wrong!

blueturtle

10 Year Member!
SoCal
Yeah all the res I've ever seen or had were this same color.they were only green as babies/juvies. Hey we learn something new everyday! I just hope someone on here can help me out with some info on rescue organizations or housing it themselves.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Still need to drop it off somewhere?

I'm part of the California Turtle and Tortoise Club Chino chapter. RES are hard to find homes for but I could take it for the club and go from there.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

My mom is in Ontario. Send me an email if you need to.

Heather

blueturtle

10 Year Member!
SoCal
I email the Chino chapter trying to find a place before i had to leave the area since my fiancé needed to report back to work. They responded saying they don't accept water turtles. Unfortunately i had to leave it back at my mother's so it would have to be picked up since i live 2 hrs from there.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Well we usually don't. But I just lined up a member to foster it.

If someone can take it to a house in Ontario, we will take it.

If not, no worries.

Heather

blueturtle

10 Year Member!
SoCal
If you could message me the address I'll get into contact with my brother in law and see if he can do it. My mom isn't one to mess with anything other than a cat or dog. Thank you so much!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Sent a message with an address and phone number.

Please call me if you decide to drop of the turtle and I'll be taking it from there to the foster.

Heather

blueturtle

10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tried to respond but it wouldn't go through.
I just contacted my brother in law. He said he could do it tomorrow once he's off work so around 5ish. He'll let me know for sure the time tomorrow and I'll be able to call you and let you know. I'm relieved he'll have a better life now. Thank you!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My pm is disabled but you can email me from my profile page.

Call me tomorrow when you know he is on his way so I can give my mom the heads up (or meet him there myself)

Heather

blueturtle

10 Year Member!
SoCal
You got it!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Transporting from the drop off to the foster.

And his temporary water tub with water hyacinth until he is adopted.

Heather

Attachments

• 1373341896521.jpg
    1373341896521.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 1373341999790.jpg
    1373341999790.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 28
Status
Not open for further replies.