Found baby tortoises in my backyard

sillyglue

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
pasadena, ca
Hi all! I have four hermann tortoises that live in my backyard in Los Angeles. Being a single mom to a human baby, I honestly let them take care of themselves. They munch on plants and brumate during the mild winters. There's no enclosure and I don't even provide a water dish (it just evaporates immediately during the summer). Apparently they're doing so well they somehow were able to hatch babies. I didn't think it was possible bc the conditions are far less than ideal (no humidity, no water source, temps all over the place, birds/lizards galore). But now that I see the babies, what should I do? I don't really have time to set up and maintain an enclosure for them. Even then I remember it being hard to keep them alive and thriving. But if I leave them to Mother Nature, do they have a chance? I'm amazed they're alive even now but maybe that means they're tough and will make it? 🤞🏻

Ps. The carapace is less than 2" long. Any idea how old they are? I've never even seen the eggs to know when they hatched

Attachments

• IMG_1083.jpeg
    IMG_1083.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1