Found this tortoise/turtle!?

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chesnee, South Carolina
Well my buddy was cleaning out a back yard of an foreclosed house there putting on the market and found this little one. Not sure what it is maybe a box turtle? House has been abandoned for 2 yrs now and the back yard is fully blocked in. So yeah let me know what it Is!

Thanks20180622_114940.jpg 20180622_114926.jpg 20180622_114946.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Definitely a box turtle. Ornate I think.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My slow internet won't let me open any of the pictures but the plastron shot. Because you're in AZ, I'm going out on a limb and saying Terrapene ornata luteola, or desertbox turtle.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My slow internet won't let me open any of the pictures but the plastron shot. Because you're in AZ, I'm going out on a limb and saying Terrapene ornata luteola, or desertbox turtle.
I just googled box turtles in AZ and it certainly looks like the picture of Terrapene ornata luteola

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
I could agree with that so maybe I should release him? Especially if he's native

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I could agree with that so maybe I should release him? Especially if he's native
I would, chances are he/she has lived their whole life very close to where you found it. There's plenty of captive bred Boxies available if you decide you want one.

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Yeah maybe.. it's pretty developed around where he was ( houses back to back, mall) but yeah a couple washes run through the houses.. I got a good spot off the beaten path I'll take him, natural spring, grassland plenty of food good soil he can dig a burrow before the fall. Thanks all for the help!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Yeah maybe.. it's pretty developed around where he was ( houses back to back, mall) but yeah a couple washes run through the houses.. I got a good spot off the beaten path I'll take him, natural spring, grassland plenty of food good soil he can dig a burrow before the fall. Thanks all for the help!
Very cool!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Nice, bon voyage! Did he even turn around and thank you?