Found Tortoise In My Yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Great news you found the owners. Russians are known escape aritsts. Hopefully they will make their yard more escape proof, if that is posible with a Russian. You are certanly welcome to check out the forum anytime. Who know perhaps one day you will decide to get a tort or turt.

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
College Station, TX
Every one of us hopes someone like you finds our tortoise if they escape. Great job! Sounds like you might have gotten the tortoise bug... :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Martin: I'm so very glad that you found the tortoise's owner. Did they happen to mention why they had a sticker on the tortoise? At least that was one way for them to i.d. it, huh? If you are interested in adding a turtle or tortoise to your back yard, may I suggest a box turtle? They are very personable and live in a garden quite well. But you would have to contain it somehow. If you allow a box turtle to roam freely in the whole backyard, you might never see it. A small fence around the garden would be good. That way the box turtle would chow down on the bugs that arrive to eat your veggies. Of course, the box turtle might take a bite or two too! They eat bugs, worms, fruits and veggies and require a small pool for soaking, which could be a flower pot saucer.

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/world_of_turtles/index-2.html

If you are interested, you can contact Tom Silverfield of the NW Herp society. He usually has box turtles to adopt. I couldn't find his email address, but here's the link to the club:

http://www.pnwhs.org/EmailContact

Yvonne

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
Thats Wonderful Martin i knew someone would be looking. you did a great job and im glad an animal lover like you found him and took care of him until his family could be found. i cannot thank you enough for what you did. the family has to be extremely happy to have there tort back.

martin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am glad that it works as a fertilizer I was just worried about the salmonella thing going on with reptiles, no matter how healthy they are, but I suppose it will be fine. You guys are awesome, thank you for those words, really.

Yes, they identified the turtle by the sticker but they said it was their sister and she was crying and wanted to surprise her. I hope that sister is not 5 years old or something, because they did not even know about the aestivation of the russian and not even knew it was a russian in fact. Like I say, hopefully the real owner does. They said they took the turtle to the backyard to have some sun and they were watching it, but when they looked twice it was already gone. I hope I did the right thing, I mean they knew about the sticker and all...

Right now Yvonne I am not interested in keeping a pet, for this simple reason: responsability. I just suffer so much with every single pet I ever had. When they get sick for example, or when they die. In the case of our friend the tortoise we wouldnt have to worry about it dying due to its age though. Well, that if it is taken care of correctly. Thank you though, my girlfriend IS SO interested in it, but I think it is a huge responsability and lot of care and work, even more than owning a dog (which we don't have either).

What it is certain is that the animal will probably find its way to our house again if it escapes, so that's fine. Its house is not far from here. He loved our garden. Now if it escapes again and I happen to find it, I will have to do something different about it. I told the owners to digg deep and make a fence so that the animal does not escape by digging.

Anyways, now you know if your tortoise escapes I and my girlfriend will be here to take care of it, so don't worry. That if you live nearby of course.

Talk to you later guys, have a nice one,

Martin

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
I would put him in the garage at night to keep him safe. If you're anywhere near where I live in Medford there are plenty of raccoons that would make a meal of him if they get a chance.

Oops, just seen that you found the owners...Great!

Caitlin718

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NYC
That's wonderful that you found the owners, and that you took care of it while waiting for the owners to come. :D

TurtleSale

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well i would start by peeling the sticker off the little guy and not worry it wont hurt the shell to do so.....

Status
Not open for further replies.