Frank update

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
He looks about the same size as my 2 year old, Chomper. When i purchased him off craigslist, he was being kept in a 10 gallon aquarium with paper towels as the "substrate" and being fed the iceberg salad mix, with only a 70w house lightbulb...

krh11b23

5 Year Member
Oh wow well I'm glad u got him now. Ya my tort loves to sit in his water fish under his light

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Mine does too. I'm hoping by next spring he'll be big enough to go out during the day. I am almost done with his outside enclosure, but outs about to start getting cold here, so it'll have to wait until next spring to be used unfortunately.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Congrats! Its nice to see and tell that they're getting healthier in our care. It's also amazing how proper care from the beginning can change the way they grow when they're older. My sulcata just turned 3 in March and is 21 pounds. She's on the larger side though. keep up the good work.

krh11b23

5 Year Member
I am amazed at the amount of food this animal eats for how small it is. I can still remember how picky he was as a hatchling. He now eats everything. Loves Hibiscus and rose of Sharon leaves. I have had reptiles all my life, but this is my first sulcata.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I am amazed at the amount of food this animal eats for how small it is. I can still remember how picky he was as a hatchling. He now eats everything. Loves Hibiscus and rose of Sharon leaves. I have had reptiles all my life, but this is my first sulcata.
You think he eats a lot now, just wait until he's over 100lbs. My monster is 130lbs

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

HA! I remember hitting this point with all my sulcatas years ago. The sudden realization that a little bag from the grocery store is NOT going to feed this monster!!! For me there was almost a moment of panic when I did the math on how much food was going to cost...

NOW is the time when you start learning to grow and scrounge all sorts of different types of foods. Now is when you start introducing grass hay, mulberry leaves, large cactus pads, yard clippings, etc...

My herd is now eating the equivalent of 3-4 five gallon buckets stuffed full to the brim a day. Plus they have grass hay available all the time.

Thanks for posting all these updates. Its great to hear about the success stories too. :)