Franklin

Status
Not open for further replies.

bug52

5 Year Member
I just bought a Greek tortoise tonight!!! I named him Franklin :p any advice from anyone would be great!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) someone with more experience should be on soon. Have any question? A run down of your enclosure or a picture would help someone to give better info.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Welcome, and congrats on your new tortoise! Greek tortoises are so much fun... we have one little Greek, and 4 RTs (in separate enclosures).

The pic didn't attach... there are good instructions on how to do that HERE.

Caring for a Greek tortoise is almost identical to caring for Russian tortoises (except the 2 different species shouldn't be kept together). You can find a wonderful comprehensive caresheet at www.russiantortoise.net and there is also a good list of edible plants on there. If you are interested in learning more about which 'wild' plants (in non-sprayed areas) or garden plants are edible for tortoises, there is also a really nice list HERE that is printable and has photographs.
I started out just feeding a few plants I already knew were safe, and bit by bit expanded what I fed from my garden - daylily leaves and flowers, raspberry leaves, mallow leaves, mullberry leaves, fig leaves, dandelion, plantain weed, and so much more! :)

We'd love to hear what you are housing your tortoise in, what kind of substrate you are using, and what your temperatures are like, what kind of lighting, etc. - not because we are nosy, but because often pet stores will give faulty info... I find that folks on here are generally really nice, and if something needs to be corrected, will be kind about mentioning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.