From the beautiful Pacific NW

shutupandsign

10 Year Member!
Hello!!!!!!! I'm so excited to be joining this forum. There is a lot of contradictory information out there, so we are hoping to get a feel for things through research and exposure to those of you who are experienced!! My family consists of my partner, our 20 month old son, teacup Chihuahua Monster, and Sulcata tortoise named Monte Go-go-go-go (guess which part of the name my son picked :/ )
IMAG1442.jpg
We are happy to be here and happy to glean information!!!!!!!!!!
:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

We have contradictory info here too, but if you read everything, especially the "important threads" at the top of the Sulcata section, then you will be able to make your own decision as to how to care for your little sulcata.

He's starting to pyramid, so it would be a good idea for you to set him up in a more humid environment. After you've read the suggested threads, you'll understand why I said that.

shutupandsign

10 Year Member!
Thanks, I will look into that right away. Since we've gotten him, we soak him twice a week for twenty minutes... I think I read to do that on here?? Maybe I will answer my own question in a moment when I find the "important threads" :)
Thanks again

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Yay! Another Pacific NorthWETTER!!

There is a lot of events and gatherings if you are so inclined. Watch for club postings for meetings and events. If you don't mind, where are you? I'm in NW Oregon, about an hour west of Portland.
I travel the region constantly for dog shows....or to pick up a rescue Tortoise (see Oliver the 50 lb rescue) thread. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

shutupandsign

10 Year Member!
SenjiSandy - I am VERY excited to hear that there is a club with meetings and events. I'm a little overwhelmed with all the great info I'm finding ... I just really want to do a good job. "real life" advice would be amazing. We just moved to Vancouver, WA from Portland, OR.

I'd LOVE any info you have on where you find various grasses for your Sulcata. We have resorted to a boring hay grass since we can't find any of what we've found on various lists. Monte Gogogogo doesn't seem to like it... s/he doesn't eat a lot of it, but s/he does eat it. Monte loves Dandelions... but we know it's not ideal. What are your experiences of your Tortoises in the NW?? I'd love any info you can share.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Toms threads are below in my post for raising healthy, smooth sulcatas. Depending on size and age, you should be soaking every day until approx. a year or more then cut back to every other day until around two. Then about 2-3 times a week. Check out this site for edible safe foods http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/tortoise_home_1.asp
Also, Mazuri tortoises diet is a good pellet food to add in. Most if us soak it until it's soft, but make sure it absorbs all the water.

Oh, and you can also check out tortoisesupply.com for seeds to purchase and plant also they have other good food items.

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
Hello & welcome!! I live 30 mins south of Seattle :)

I can't help with sulcata info, I have an adult Russian Tortoise. But you will find lots of info here and very helpful people!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...i travel to oak harbor every 2-3months. Looks like you have everything pretty much right. Just gotta get him some humidity..cute little guy there...