Fruit of the cacti

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I came across some of these and had to grab some for the radiated. Always on the lookout for a good spot to grab a few. Pic came out pretty good

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Is it strange that I want some too?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
They are good and if you want to fun it up some....add some cool whip to them (not for the torts of course :D)......

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ascott said:
They are good and if you want to fun it up some....add some cool whip to them (not for the torts of course :D)......

I know you planted some cactus on your property, did it end up growing

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh Ed, I am so unbearably sad about the entire cactus thing here (well should I say, I am sad-- but all of the jack rabbits and cotton tail are tremendously grateful for the cactus snacks I planted for them)

I think there are like 5 and one half of them left out of the 23 that I planted----I am just sick about it----little cute ba*&AR$*s....

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I left my spineless cactus out in the cold and well... it really looks spineless now, it's all floppy and drooped over. I'm sad. I really do love those cactus fruits too.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ascott said:
Oh Ed, I am so unbearably sad about the entire cactus thing here (well should I say, I am sad-- but all of the jack rabbits and cotton tail are tremendously grateful for the cactus snacks I planted for them)

I think there are like 5 and one half of them left out of the 23 that I planted----I am just sick about it----little cute ba*&AR$*s....

Sorry to hear that, I know you worked hard that day

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thank you Ed, I am learning living here in the high desert, that if you want a plant to live and thrive---you have to plant 15 of that plant and eventually you will have perhaps one or two strong ones remaining--- the others were sacrifices to the wildlife :D

Not like when I lived down there and would plant anything in the ground and it would take off and thrive....lol....ahhhh, I remember those days....:p

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
You just need a pair of these!!!
off.jpg

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
coastal said:
You just need a pair of these!!!
off.jpg

HaHa pretty funny, they are beautiful. Im sure those guys are very capable of running off with smaller torts

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
ascott said:

Angela, this is exactly what happened to me this winter. I have some new pads ready to stick into my cactus garden to replace all the ones that have been eaten to the ground and the thinner variety ones that got eaten first. Even holes dug down deep to get at the bottom of the cacti. We are thinking about putting an electric fence around the entire outdoor habitat just to keep the dang rabbits out. I don't want to exclude them from the entire yard though 'cause I still love the little buggers bringing their yungins' in to see and to get a drink of water from the bird waterer.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
They prefer squirrel... the other option...
airgundepot_2249_60974539

We have the same issue in CA with squirrels eating our variegated cactus patch so we just put chicken wire around the plants now...

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
coastal said:

We have the same issue in CA with squirrels eating our variegated cactus patch so we just put chicken wire around the plants now...

Those are good options also, especially the chicken wire :cool:. We have the squirrel problem too, the rifle option would be preferable for the squirrels.

We tried relocating the squirrels all last summer, but getting pretty tired of that.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
coastal said:

I like that option as well

Status
Not open for further replies.