fussy herman tortoise

ellagrace1423

Location (City and/or State)
derby
hiya,
i’m really struggling to get my herman tortoise to eat anything other than foods like cucumber, and peppers, i constantly offer him weeds but he won’t touch them, i don’t want to keep giving him vegetables because i know they need other stuff, any advice would be great :)

JoFisch

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I’m no expert but there are several threads on here about picky eaters. The general recommendation is to introduce one new food at a time. Start with what the tortoise will eat and mince it finely. Add a very small amount of the new food finely minced to the favorite food. Over time, slowly increase the amount of the new food item and decrease the amount of the favorite until you can tell your tort is eating the new food item. Then you can try a new food item the same way. Giving soaked Mazuri pellets a couple of times per week will help fill in the nutrition gaps while you work at getting your tort to accept a varied diet. Many torts really like the Mazuri once they realize it is food. You may have to introduce it the same way as the weeds to your tort.