GE Silicone tub/tile or door/window?

eliseandboris

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I assume using GE 1 tub and tile is the way to go? There is window and door as well. They don’t have the all purpose one at the store. Any advice?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
GE Silicone one "clear" is what you want. There are no additives in it, like mold and mildew inhibitors.

What are you sealing? There are other products that work well too. MarkW told me about DAP Dynaflex 230 and I've used that one for a few builds lately. I like it because you can paint over it. Silicone sealant won't hold the paint.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
GE Silicone one "clear" is what you want. There are no additives in it, like mold and mildew inhibitors.

What are you sealing? There are other products that work well too. MarkW told me about DAP Dynaflex 230 and I've used that one for a few builds lately. I like it because you can paint over it. Silicone sealant won't hold the paint

What are you sealing? There are other products that work well too. MarkW told me about DAP Dynaflex 230 and I've used that one for a few builds lately. I like it because you can paint over it. Silicone sealant won't hold the paint.

I’m trying to seal off

I’m happy to sue something I can paint over. I have a poplar wood toy box that I need to seal. Some parts have an old stain and some parts are bare. I’m open to suggestions and would either paint or stain. Ideally I don’t want to wait a month for things to cure. From what I read I’m thinking water based polyurethane seal, some caulking of some sort, and then paint? I read somewhere pain takes a month to cure. I don’t want to harm my little guy, and I also am impatient. I’ll take any suggestions you have! Thanks, Tom!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m trying to seal off

I’m happy to sue something I can paint over. I have a poplar wood toy box that I need to seal. Some parts have an old stain and some parts are bare. I’m open to suggestions and would either paint or stain. Ideally I don’t want to wait a month for things to cure. From what I read I’m thinking water based polyurethane seal, some caulking of some sort, and then paint? I read somewhere pain takes a month to cure. I don’t want to harm my little guy, and I also am impatient. I’ll take any suggestions you have! Thanks, Tom!
If it is for an open topped tortoise table, I'd seal the seams with DAP 230, and then prime with Killz2 and paint with a good exterior high gloss paint. That should only take a couple of days to cure.

Rustoleum counter top paint is also a good way to go if you can find it. That one does take longer for the fumes to dissipate, but once they do it is a great coating and very durable and resistant to water damage.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
I has some plexi windows. They’re actually a TV screen from something my husband took apart. I’m somewhat concerned about the dots making it more reflective, but he says no… The top will have a wooden frame with chicken wire I think. Not sure if this is what you’d consider open top?

Attachments

• IMG_7536.jpeg
    IMG_7536.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7537.jpeg
    IMG_7537.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Open top means no cover on the top of the enclosure.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Like nothing? Chicken wire doesn’t hold much in, so I would consider it open top. Although I can’t imagine a completely closed tortoise anything…
Chicken wire counts as an "open top". It's opposite to the "closed chamber" enclosures aka vivariums, where top cover is solid to prevent hot and humid air from escaping.

P.S. The enclosure you make looks great! Boris should be much happier after move :)

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
Chicken wire counts as an "open top". It's opposite to the "closed chamber" enclosures aka vivariums, where top cover is solid to prevent hot and humid air from escaping.

P.S. The enclosure you make looks great! Boris should be much happier after move :)
Thanks so much, Alex! Can’t wait to get him in there ❤️🐢