General Question and Concern (not eating)

jinete

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, CA
I really appreciate this site and all of the information that has been made available. I am new to tortoises and have some beginner concerns. I have a very young (4 month old) Russian Tortoise. I have had him for 2 weeks now. My concern is that he has not really eaten in the 2 weeks. He has nibbled but that's it. I have offered mixed greens, kale, dandelion, and timothy hay. The fresh stuff just dries out by the end of the day. I am soaking in warm water 85-90 degrees every other day. My temps are good (95-98 basking, cool side around 73. Night time temps range from 65-70. Could it be he is just getting used to his new home? Any suggestions? I will attach a picture of my setup.

Thanks in advance. I appreciate your knowledge and experience.

Attachments

• IMG_8776 copy.jpg
    IMG_8776 copy.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 9

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Getting adjusted and for a little one I'm thinking your temps are too cold. Also you don't mention humidity. They need a higher humidity when little, and warm temps with that humidity. Please read the caresheet for hatchling Russians under the Russian section and make any needed adjustments.

jinete

Orange County, CA
Getting adjusted and for a little one I'm thinking your temps are too cold. Also you don't mention humidity. They need a higher humidity when little, and warm temps with that humidity. Please read the caresheet for hatchling Russians under the Russian section and make any needed adjustments.
Humidity runs between 50-60. Thanks for the advice.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
With an open top like you have, the humidity is most likely not that high at tort level, unless it's in a humid hide. Very hard to keep temps and humidity correct at tort level in an open enclosure. Be sure you are measuring at tort level.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Oh, he's adorable. GOD bless.

You needn't worry: as @wellington put it: torts need a lot of time to get used to a new environment.

Have you read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheet?

jinete

Orange County, CA
Oh, he's adorable. GOD bless.

You needn't worry: as @wellington put it: torts need a lot of time to get used to a new environment.

Have you read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheet?
Yes. I've carefully gone through "Beginner Mistakes" and "Russian hatchlings". I'm going to raise the substrate level this morning while he is soaking. This should raise the temps a bit. We'll see how it goes from there.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Yes. I've carefully gone through "Beginner Mistakes" and "Russian hatchlings". I'm going to raise the substrate level this morning while he is soaking. This should raise the temps a bit. We'll see how it goes from there.

Good luck to your cute tort, and please keep us updated.