giving medicine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
after about two times of giving Ophelia her pill for her respiratory infection, she will no longer eat them. and ive tried a few ways

one: putting it in some fruit
two:crushing it
three: forcing it

today none of this worked and she actually ran away from me, i called the vets and they cant do anything for me except give me a serynge.

some advice please!?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Do you feed Mazuri? Maybe you could "hide" it in a mushy Mazuri pellet?

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I would go to and get the needled less syringe to put it in her mouth.

I have had to to that to my russian before. I had to pry open her mouth and get it in her mouth and slowly squirt it in

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
yeah ive tried basically all foods i can and she wont eat it, i think she sense it or something lol
but yeah, i think tmrw i will go to the vets and get the syringe.. and cross my fingers

thank you

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
you can always go to the local pharmacy and tell them about your situation and ask them if you could get a dropper from them.

Rite aid gave me a nice free one

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
heyprettyrave said:
after about two times of giving Ophelia her pill for her respiratory infection, she will no longer eat them. and ive tried a few ways

one: putting it in some fruit
two:crushing it
three: forcing it

today none of this worked and she actually ran away from me, i called the vets and they cant do anything for me except give me a serynge.

some advice please!?

What kind of pill is it? If it is an antibiotic, did the vet actually culture a bacteria or is this to fight secondary infections? I ask because MOST respiratory stuff is viral and antibiotics don't do a lot for them.

A good way to give most tablets to tortoises is to crush it up VERY FINE and mix it into a fruit or other snack. Mashed bananas are good for this- they will camouflage the dust and texture nicely. Chop some strawberry into it as well if you want to hide it further. Baby food also works nicely. Use enough fruit that it easily hides every bit.

Remember, they have good senses of sight, taste, and smell. If you can tell there is something in there, so can she.

If this does not work, I would ask what the purpose of the pill is and if it is important in the healing, I would go with the injections.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
she has a respirtory infection, thats what he told us. so i am using a serynge for it, it seems to be working nicely

Status
Not open for further replies.