Gnats and Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenncure

5 Year Member
Has anyone else had a problem with gnats in their tort enclosure? I've been using organic soil as substrate, and mist it daily to try to keep it humid enough for my Russian Henry. I realize that moist organic material can breed these bugs though, so I'm not sure what to do. Is there a natural way to get rid of these bugs that won't harm Henry?

On a related note, I'm having trouble keeping his enclosure humid enough and was considering adding some coconut peat to his substrate. Will this just make the gnat problem worse though?

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I had a few in my sulcata enclosure and thats when I found a pile of like a million little white larva squirming around in the substrate! I freaked out and immediately got rid of the Eco earth.
I also had roaches in my house from
Cypress mulch.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Yes, that has happened to me, too. Now when I use organic soil as substrate, I bake it first. It's a good bit of work, but I do it in batches, in two aluminum turkey-pans that I got from the dollar store. I stick a meat thermometer in there, and bake it at 280 degrees F, until the internal temp of the dirt in the pan has been 250 degrees for 5 minutes. Then I take it out and let it cool down.

Some folks have had success putting pill bugs (rolly polies) into their tortoise enclosure. They prey on the larvae of those little fungus gnats, eliminating them effectively. Once the gnats are gone, the pill bugs just live off of plant scraps and fecal droppings. :) Good little clean-up crew!

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
biochemnerd808 said:
Yes, that has happened to me, too. Now when I use organic soil as substrate, I bake it first. It's a good bit of work, but I do it in batches, in two aluminum turkey-pans that I got from the dollar store. I stick a meat thermometer in there, and bake it at 280 degrees F, until the internal temp of the dirt in the pan has been 250 degrees for 5 minutes. Then I take it out and let it cool down.

Some folks have had success putting pill bugs (rolly polies) into their tortoise enclosure. They prey on the larvae of those little fungus gnats, eliminating them effectively. Once the gnats are gone, the pill bugs just live off of plant scraps and fecal droppings. :) Good little clean-up crew!

I should add pill bugs to my outdoor enclosure! I used organic soil and I have seen some things crawling around in it :/ Where can I get me some rolly pollies?!!! I am in AZ and we don't exactly have a lot of them crawling around.

Thanks for the idea! :p

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Mostly you can get them in the garden. Most web sites talk about getting rid of them, only tortoise owners want them for their substrates!
The Fungus gnats peak in late winter/early spring.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
SmileyKylie623 said:
biochemnerd808 said:

I should add pill bugs to my outdoor enclosure! I used organic soil and I have seen some things crawling around in it :/ Where can I get me some rolly pollies?!!! I am in AZ and we don't exactly have a lot of them crawling around.

I purchased pill bugs from Carolina Pet supply. My hubby thought I was nuts but it was in the middle of winter and I didn't want to risk getting any other unwanted guests from the wild. I love my pill bugs they keep those mites/ gnats under control. They are a great working clean up crew and came to the rescue .

lkwagner said:
I had a few in my sulcata enclosure and thats when I found a pile of like a million little white larva squirming around in the substrate! I freaked out and immediately got rid of the Eco earth.
Cypress mulch.

Roaches I would die!

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
MasterOogway said:
SmileyKylie623 said:
biochemnerd808 said:

I purchased pill bugs from Carolina Pet supply. My hubby thought I was nuts but it was in the middle of winter and I didn't want to risk getting any other unwanted guests from the wild. I love my pill bugs they keep those mites/ gnats under control. They are a great working clean up crew and came to the rescue .

lkwagner said:
Cypress mulch.

Roaches I would die!

Oh! And I just put an order in at Carolina yesterday! Darn! Ill have to get some if they dont go away soon. I'm hoping once the chicken poo that's in the soil stops stinking the problem will resolve itself. :p
Thanks!!

Jenncure

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. I'm really uncomfortable with the pill bugs idea though. Any other ideas?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
In my Greenhouse, I used the Gnat Stix (yellow sticky rectangle on stick, stuck into each plant, organic). That worked really well, but it is a smaller area compared to a house.
You will see other home remedies like vinegar in a partially covered bowl, which I tried and did not find effective.
Home depot sells beneficial Nematodes, which are organic and safe around kids/pets. They are microscopic and made for any soil pest including fleas, yellow jackets, etc., outside.
You can get them for Fungus Gnats at places like home depot. I used them last year (mix in water and saturate the soil) and took my torts out for a couple of days until the soil dried out to the right amount for them.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nema-globe-Fungus-Gnat-Control-Nematodes-322/203148477#.UVhW76v5knc

Jenncure

5 Year Member
Thanks Lynne. I plan to make some homemade gnat sticks this weekend. I'll have to check out the nematodes. Maybe I can try them once it gets a bit warmer and I can keep Henry outside for a few days while treating the soil.

Jenncure

5 Year Member
Update: I've tried gnat stix and vacuuming and vinegar treatments and no dice.
I just want to check again before I try to the nematodes: is it definitely safe to put my Russian back in the pen right after treatment? I just want to be sure it won't harm her in any way.

Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.