Gnats... Top Soil... change or prevention? - California

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
I did a search through threads here (old.. nothing recent and no definitive solutions) and google search but boy oh boy.... a few different options I have seen.
So I have this organic top soil with my little Sulcata while he hangs out in a little 10gallon waiting for me to finish his enclosure (almost there).... and I notice those stinkn little Gnats!
My question is... before I fill up his big ol enclosure with top soil.... is there either something else I should be using that will prevent the bugs? a different substrate? or....
anything to be done to get rid of the bugs in the topsoil?
I have seen it mentioned:
-Rollie Pollies (I guess they eat the bugs)
-Coke bottle filled with vinegar and supported to not get knocked down inside enclosure
-Bake Topsoil for 15 min 300 deg or Freeze (but once moist again... don't the bugs just come back??)
-a Product called Knockout Gnats or Gnats Alive
-Mosser Lee Sphagnum Moss solely as the substrate

I just don't want to fill his home up .... little bugs take over... then larvae... ugh!

so anyone with some experience here would be great ... that had dealt with this and has a fix! :)

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
There are lots of threads about bugs in the substrate. You can bake it to kill them, but yes, they will probably come back. The bottom line is that the bugs don't bother your tort.

Most people don't use top soil for substrate. The most popular substrates are orchid bark and coco coir. I have no opinion about either since Charlie hasn't been indoors for 13 years or so.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First, soil is not a good substrate for them. Too rich in or chain material and there is no way to know what composted material it is made of unless you composted it yourself. It could have toxic components in it. The people selling it are not intending it to be substrate for a live animal in a closed system. Soil is also messy and it will be too dusty if you let it dry our or too muddy if you keep it damp.

Fine grade orchid bark works best, and it can be purchased in bulk inexpensively at a garden center. You won't find it at Home Depot or Lowes.

The substrate flies come from the surrounding environment. The only way to get rid of them is to boil, bake, freeze or replace your substrate every two week or so. Our warm humid environments that we create for our tortoises make a perfect place for the bugs to set up shop and make a family. Personally, I just ignore them and they reach a balance after a few months where you hardly see any of them.

Fresno, CA
Well glad to hear that they don't bother the tort.. that to me is the important part
I grabbed a bunch of the Eco Earth and spagnum moss to mix together.... I was having a hard time finding the coco coir. Hopefully "less" gnats... if any... and help retain the moisture.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Eco earth = Coco coir. You will soon discover they both of those are too messy for a sulcata.

Fresno, CA
You are probably right Tom... but I have kids... nothing makes more of a mess! Haha
My dogs are cleaner than those monsters (kids)! Haha

Brendelwood

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
Tom is right, the makeup of the top soil is something to take into consideration. One of the first times I put my tortoise outside, it was in a raised planter with top soil. Bugs didn't seem to be an interest or nuisance to Brendel. I found that my tortoise was very interested in perlite and would seek it out and consume it. Since that experience I built a pen to make sure he can't get to it.