Bad Bug Infestation

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Auburn, Alabama
Well I will try to catch some in the woods first, there should be a ton of them out, we have had non stop rain for 4 days now, and it should continue through the week. If I am non successful then I will order them online.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Try and catch a few different kinds, you will notice some have harder looking shells and are bigger, some are tiny and really light and don't really roll up all the time. they prefer slightly different types of debris so it will keep it cleaner, also catch a bunch, most cleaning crews sold online are 50count, I think I started with 100+ and let them even out and start cleaning/breeding. My enclosure is 24 square feet.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
At work today I got about 20 something Roly Polys and planted my grass seeds in the tank. Hopefully I will see less of the bugs. Also will the Roly Polys eat the grass seeds?

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I don't think so, they choose the decaying plant matter over the new growth, that being said I am not 100% sure that they won't but I never had a problem with them eating seeds so I assume they won't.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
jjsull33 said:
I don't think so, they choose the decaying plant matter over the new growth, that being said I am not 100% sure that they won't but I never had a problem with them eating seeds so I assume they won't.

Well I planted a lot of seeds and have a ton left over, lets just hope the seeds grow an the Roly Polys breed.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
As long as you keep it moist they should be fine, if the tort isn't living in there yet, you may want to put a piece of fruit or green on a rock so they have something to eat before the tort moves in and starts leaving debris.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
The bugs were driving me nuts. So I finally broke down and found a about 6 pill bugs in the yard and tossed them in. With a few days I noticed a big difference. After two weeks I haven't seen a single bug other then the occasional pill bug crawling by to say hi.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
My Pancake live in there, why the infestation was so bad with them leaving leaves in the substrate.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Finally found the fruit fly larvae breeding ground, and it is in my crab tank. Will my crab eat my Roly Polys and will the Polys eat the fruit fly larvae?

Status
Not open for further replies.