Google Home speaker for my RF's enclosure

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
It occurred to me the other day while reading a thread here on TFO that some appropriate environmental sounds might be a nice addition to my Darwin's enclosure.

I made a Spotify playlist of the story of sounds his relatives might encounter in the wild, and set up a GH mini-speaker to play at low-volume into his enclosure.

IMG_7023.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/user/dqlq0...IwgQ2DKCzcXRqCYpITk?si=I9MSxc7fSTeVKZW-kBjY8w

Because of the humidity, and possible risks (if Darwin bit the wire, turned up the volume, changed the station, or started ordering stuff), I've got the speaker outside the enclosure, facing down and in ... like the lights.

When I turned it on, he wandered out and looked around, but seems to have gotten used to it now.

Jamie

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My Redfoot prefers Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I like the thought. But tortoises don't hear as we do.
But then again, I had tropical rain forest sounds piped into my fish pond area and the only things that heard it were likely some feral neighborhood cats.
If tortoises could hear better, they'd probably be frightened by sounds of nature. Since so many things in their natural range like to eat them!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
My experience with Darwin in the last two months has led me to believe that piping an assortment of natural sounds into his enclosure is stimulating and beneficial to him.

On days when I play the soundtrack, I seem to see him more often, out and about, eating and exploring, than on days when the tank is silent.

I think the world Darwin's relatives live in is full of sounds, and their addition to his enclosure is one step closer to accurately reproducing the environment redfoots naturally occur in.

Jamie