Graeca graeca living in the uk!

Poppies

Hi, I'm new to tortoise keeping so just wanted some advice. This year I want, if possible to get my torts outside in an enclosure.. I've done a lot of reading about set ups and what they need for being outside..

However, I live in the North the Uk so temps even in summer would rarely get in the 20's!! Last year they did go out but only for short periods.. They are in a vivarium which I know is not good but this is what they had always been in when we got them.. I have thought about getting them a tortoise table for indoors but again worry about the temp as although they would have a basking light and uv their temp wouldn't be up near their natural habitat! They are 7 yrs old! Forgot to also say they come out of the vivarium daily for exercise but only explore for about 20 mins max before they find a place to sleep!

Any suggestions or advice? I do know at the moment I'm not doing the best for them and want that to change but worried about making it worse for them!

Thanks Clare x

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi there =) Welcome to tortoise forum =) well just to get you started, being outside will always be better for them. If you're worried bout the temp being so low, something i would suggest is building a green house or cold frame for them if you are to leave them outside. If the temp gets even lower than that at night, then having something for them inside wouldn't hurt either and just bring them out during the day. My tortoise table outside is half cold frame/greenhouse and the other half just a regular box with plenty of plants to grow on. ^_^ ill upload photos later for you. lol im at work...