Grass scare

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
We have some very long fescue grass in the outdoor enclosure that our two CDTs love to eat and hide in. Tonight I came home from work and found Gomez all twisted up in it, and the grass wrapped around his neck in a way that he couldn't free himself. He seemed OK when I extracted him -- he stretched his neck out long and climbed into my palm as I reached to carry him inside for the night. But I don't know how long he was like that -- it was dusk when I got home and normally he'd have been in his burrow by then. They've been living with the grass for 10 weeks and this is the first time this has happened. Anybody else have very long grasses in their enclosure and experienced anything like this?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
...this is interesting...

I've never had this happen and I always have tall fescue grass in my pens.
I'd chalk it up to a random occurrence. Maybe trim the grass a bit. But, I'd be surprised if it happened again.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the replies. Must just be a flukey thing. I can't decide about trimming it. Seems like a lot of the appeal for the torts is how nice it is to hide in. Hmmmm...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
thatrebecca said:
Thanks for the replies. Must just be a flukey thing. I can't decide about trimming it. Seems like a lot of the appeal for the torts is how nice it is to hide in. Hmmmm...

I'd consider trimming it to 6-8"...still enough to graze in/hide amongst.

Status
Not open for further replies.