Grasses...

SasquatchTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Forth Worth, Texas
I've beat this question down already, but I thought I'd try one more time.
There have been some grasses I have tried to find the safety of, but without luck
1. I believe this to be finger grass
1658769889685.png
2. Blue Grama (Bouteloua gracilis)
3. Indian/Wood grass (Sorghastrum nutans)
4. Inland Sea Oats (Chasmanthium latifolium)
Does anyone know the safety of these for a sulcata? Thanks

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I've beat this question down already, but I thought I'd try one more time.
There have been some grasses I have tried to find the safety of, but without luck
1. I believe this to be finger grass
View attachment 347853
2. Blue Grama (Bouteloua gracilis)
3. Indian/Wood grass (Sorghastrum nutans)
4. Inland Sea Oats (Chasmanthium latifolium)
Does anyone know the safety of these for a sulcata? Thanks
Almost looks like

St Augustine Seville Grass.​

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Since we are wondering about the overall “safety” of these grasses, it got me thinking that Im thinking most grasses are probably safe to eat. So, Are there any really any known toxic perennial grasses out there in N. America? Not exotics, not ornamentals, not the rare creeping highly toxic Java grass. But, plain old prairie/grasses. Id posit that most are edible & safe.

The question as well is will your tort eat these grasses?

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
Since we are wondering about the overall “safety” of these grasses, it got me thinking that Im thinking most grasses are probably safe to eat. So, Are there any really any known toxic perennial grasses out there in N. America? Not exotics, not ornamentals, not the rare creeping highly toxic Java grass. But, plain old prairie/grasses. Id posit that most are edible & safe.

The question as well is will your tort eat these grasses?
That Is what I had been thinking. I should add, however, that Chasmanthium latifolium Is a North American forest grass, and doesn't usually stray too far from trees. Also, on number 1, I believe that it may be a tropical crabgrass.

And about Java grass, do you mean this kind?
1658870127606.png

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
That Is what I had been thinking. I should add, however, that Chasmanthium latifolium Is a North American forest grass, and doesn't usually stray too far from trees. Also, on number 1, I believe that it may be a tropical crabgrass.

And about Java grass, do you mean this kind?
View attachment 347931

I was a bit tongue in cheek with the rare “tropical Java grass”. Just saying that most of these perennial N. American grasses are (probably) not toxic. I pull tons of various weeds, grasses & feed our Sully. Mulberry & grape vines & hibiscus as well. Lately ive been pulling & feeding our Sully Japanese Stiltgrass. Seems to be a new comer to our area as far as an invasive nasty weedy grass. I checked with Maryland University who also checked with Maryland Turtle & Tortoise Society regarding the feeding of this grass to tortoises/animals. No issues….

Pretty invasive
3456FA6B-B1EA-4DE6-A768-528289C19CB7.jpegA401447D-7E2D-43FB-8347-1796A9E9E6AE.jpeg

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
I was a bit tongue in cheek with the rare “tropical Java grass”. Just saying that most of these perennial N. American grasses are (probably) not toxic. I pull tons of various weeds, grasses & feed our Sully. Mulberry & grape vines & hibiscus as well. Lately ive been pulling & feeding our Sully Japanese Stiltgrass. Seems to be a new comer to our area as far as an invasive nasty weedy grass. I checked with Maryland University who also checked with Maryland Turtle & Tortoise Society regarding the feeding of this grass to tortoises/animals. No issues….

Pretty invasive
ha I see what you mean. It just confused me since there is a sedge with that name

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
I've been doing a little more research and the only toxic North American grasses I can find seem to be in the Panicum and Sorghum genus, and this seems to mainly affect horses. The other thing to look out for may be anything carrying a parasitic fungus or nematode...

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
Also I’m sure some have a higher fiber content and others give more nutrients.
I would think that multiple prairie grasses would be more nutritious than just bermuda and crab grass
Ones I've planted so far (including the above)
bermuda grass
little bluestem
big bluestem
buffalograss