Great tip for helping torts poop

Kothy

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
I have had my two Cherry heads for a month now,(both hatchings) they get there morning soak, sometimes afternoon too. But I learned, if you make sure the water is warm , then soak and wait till it starts to cool, then replace it with warm again, they poop right away. My largest one (Rizzo) gained .2 this week and my smaller one gained.3 this week. Both LOVE the warm water, they both go to eat right after the spa time. Thanks to all the helpers on getting my set ups perfect. I also jornal on what they get for food every day and weight once a week at the same time. Glad they are growing and seem content.

Illinois
I for sure have noticed a difference in using warmer water. It makes them more comfortable and seems to help their bowels move a bit.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
Use warm water and leave the tub in the enclosure so the water stays warm!
I've been soaking my 22 year old in the bathtub for years now. When the water cools, I just put her in the other end, let some water out, and run in hot water until it's the right temp. And when she poops, the toilet is handy for disposal.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I've been soaking my 22 year old in the bathtub for years now. When the water cools, I just put her in the other end, let some water out, and run in hot water until it's the right temp. And when she poops, the toilet is handy for disposal.
For my Russian and my baby Leopard the tubs is just right! But eventually the leopard will be going the tub toilet route when the size of the tort and the ?INCREASE!

Relic

Here
Well, you could try this: During 1975 I was enrolled in a Speech class in college preparing for my first speech in front of around 75-80 students in a large amphitheater-style lecture hall. I took the professor's advice and prepared a speech about something I was familiar with, and used a prop to garner and hold the audience's attention. I brought one of my adult redfoots to class. I figured if I placed a fresh banana in front of her, she would happily munch away there on the floor beside me while I spoke. It was only a 7-8 minute speech; what could go wrong? The speech was just about finished when suddenly the class began to snicker and then just heartily laughed out loud. There was no intentional humor in my speech so I became a bit flustered...what had I said? Then I looked down and saw a fresh-and impressively large-turd on the school's carpet. Even the professor was laughing, but I did get an "A" on the speech. (However, I would have quickly traded that grade for something besides my bare hand with which to remove the offending deposit.)