Green house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Ok well in spite of me being up all night for work, i plan to build a removable greenhouse for my tort! San Francisco weather is nice but not for the tortoise! I figure why not build a removable green house for the outdoor enclosure. So i did my research and i might as well ask you guys, what is your thought when using polyethylene plastic for the cover?! Do you guys know any type of plastic that dont really block the UV? If so, please let me know as soon as possible. I plan to keep Shelby outside year round now because she is getting way to big and would appreciate a bigger enclosure.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Greenhouse plastic, 6mm, works well and is UV resistant. It is very tough, and won't degrade in the sun.
In the UK they talk about 'polytunnels', and I have made a couple of them with PVC pipe, attaching the plastic with PVC snap clamps. I can then place these on top of the enclosure when it rains, and remove them for much of the Summer.

Very little in the way of glass or plastic or polycarbonate lets UV in.
Most of us use these structures to create a dry, warm area, but don't expect it to allow UVB in. (There are products that apparently let UVB in, but they are pricey). The tortoise can warm up in the structure, and go out when the sun breaks through.

Vickie

5 Year Member
I would say check out old glass windows. You might find some cheap and most don't block much UVB light. Just a thought good luck! Some day I am going to drive my hubby nuts until he builds me one but just have to much going on now to bug him about it. LOL

WillTort2

5 Year Member
You might have to add a tube florescent to get the needed UV. But it would not use much energy.

Would you need a thermostat exhaust fan to keep the greenhouse from overheating?

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
lynnedit said:
Greenhouse plastic, 6mm, works well and is UV resistant. It is very tough, and won't degrade in the sun.
In the UK they talk about 'polytunnels', and I have made a couple of them with PVC pipe, attaching the plastic with PVC snap clamps. I can then place these on top of the enclosure when it rains, and remove them for much of the Summer.

Very little in the way of glass or plastic or polycarbonate lets UV in.
Most of us use these structures to create a dry, warm area, but don't expect it to allow UVB in. (There are products that apparently let UVB in, but they are pricey). The tortoise can warm up in the structure, and go out when the sun breaks through.

Yeah this is what i was planning on doing! Just couldnt figure out what plastic to use. Thanks for the info!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Joe's cold frame has perspex in the roof which lets it warm up in the sun like a green house. It also has a hole in the side which makes a door for joe to enter and leave as he pleases. So if he's warm enough, he goes out and eats whether or not it's raining... which is just as well given that I live in the rainy UK :D

No glass, perspex or plastic lets significant UV through.

Joe2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.