Greenhouse or summer house?

Lori81

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Hello guys,

for my little Sulcata "Mikesh" I want to build a new habitat next spring.
At the moment he is a baby and a little beloved 'problem child' - but I want this house to be prepared for him as soon as possible to motivate him hurrying a bit with growing up :)
I live in Germany so it is quite cold in winter with temperatures of -10 °C (that should be around 14 degrees Fahrenheit) - however, the house must be insulated very well.

I've just built a little foundation where the house should be placed later on.
Now I am not sure what is better: A greenhouse made of glass or a little summer house (something like this one: http://www.gartenhaus.de/media/wysiwyg/Content/2-Gartenhausmodell_Laura.png).

The advantage of the greenhouse is that sunlight can come in and perhaps keeps the greenhouse warmer in spring, summer and autumn. The disadvantage is that it can't be insulated as well as a traditional house made of wood (as far as I know...).

My alternative plan is to buy/build a little wooden summer house and insolate it with a plenty of material to make it as well protected against fhe cold winter as possible.

Do you have any experiences with those types of buildings? Which one fits better to the cold environment?

I'd be glad if someone could give me some tipps :)

Thank you very much and have a nice weekend!

Lori

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello guys,

for my little Sulcata "Mikesh" I want to build a new habitat next spring.
At the moment he is a baby and a little beloved 'problem child' - but I want this house to be prepared for him as soon as possible to motivate him hurrying a bit with growing up :)
I live in Germany so it is quite cold in winter with temperatures of -10 °C (that should be around 14 degrees Fahrenheit) - however, the house must be insulated very well.

I've just built a little foundation where the house should be placed later on.
Now I am not sure what is better: A greenhouse made of glass or a little summer house (something like this one: http://www.gartenhaus.de/media/wysiwyg/Content/2-Gartenhausmodell_Laura.png).

The advantage of the greenhouse is that sunlight can come in and perhaps keeps the greenhouse warmer in spring, summer and autumn. The disadvantage is that it can't be insulated as well as a traditional house made of wood (as far as I know...).

My alternative plan is to buy/build a little wooden summer house and insolate it with a plenty of material to make it as well protected against fhe cold winter as possible.

Do you have any experiences with those types of buildings? Which one fits better to the cold environment?

I'd be glad if someone could give me some tipps :)

Thank you very much and have a nice weekend!

Lori
That looks great! :D

Though I can't be of help here. Sorry.:( Let's tag some experienced members.

@Tom
@Yvonne G
@Jacqui

please help. Thank you all!:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Because you will probably be using this for 24/7 housing when he's bigger, I would not build a greenhouse unless it's attached to a shed that is insulated. It will take a lot to keep a greenhouse warm in winter specially at night when there is no sun to help out. Plus they get way too hot in the summer, so he'd have to have yet another hole to go into. A well insulated shed will work for both winter and summer. In summer it's usually a bit cooler on the really hot days and in winter it will take much less expense to heat.
I live in Chicago Illinois and can have snow and cold temps and I have the insulated heated shed.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Because you will probably be using this for 24/7 housing when he's bigger, I would not build a greenhouse unless it's attached to a shed that is insulated. It will take a lot to keep a greenhouse warm in winter specially at night when there is no sun to help out. Plus they get way too hot in the summer, so he'd have to have yet another hole to go into. A well insulated shed will work for both winter and summer. In summer it's usually a bit cooler on the really hot days and in winter it will take much less expense to heat.
I live in Chicago Illinois and can have snow and cold temps and I have the insulated heated shed.
Thank you.