Greetings! And Help?

TortsMaGoats

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio, USA
Greetings from Northwest Ohio!

I just got my Russian tortoise, Squirt, last week and I am already in love!

While he is first and foremost my tortoise, I do bring him to school with me. I teach high school science - the kids are pretty calm and I don't allow anyone to touch him unsupervised.

I took him to the vet last night and found out that, prior to me, he was severely dehydrated and malnourished. I've been told to make him eat more and to soak him daily (I had soaked him 3x/week). The soaking I can do, no problem, but the eating more I am finding challenging. The vet tube-fed him yesterday, but I am not sure how to make him eat on his own. I have tried kale, red romaine, mustard greens, leaf lettuce medley, dill, cilantro, radiccio, and some semi-moist herbivorous pellets from National Geographic at the pet store (I know, I was getting desperate). I ordered some Mazuri tortoise diet last night, but what should I do in the mean time, or if he doesn't like that either?

Habitat: 45 gal Rubbermaid bin (temporary until I can build something better)
Basking temp: 92F
Cool temp: 72F
Substrate: coir with sand (I know the forum hates sand, but the vet said it was ok for now)
Light: basking light and ReptiSun 10.0
Food: leafy greens, herbs, semi-moist pellets, ReptiCal, cuttlebone

Hello again! Thank you for the info!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. As an occassinal treat, to entice eating, tomato works sometimes. The primary diet should be edible weeds. It takes Russians a bit to settle in and feel safe enough to eat. Back and forth to school may be stressful for this guy. The basking temp could be a bit higher. Good luck. Hope he eats for you soon.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Keep trying, but yes, he is probably stressed with his new home and all the travelling.
He needs time to settle into his new enclosure, and then, when he's feeling secure, he should eat.
Dandelion is irresistible to some.
And a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and pretty little Squirt.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
It might be better to stop transporting him to school and back. That's adding to his stress. You can reevaluate in the fall. Let him get used to one indoor habitat, and make him a secure one outdoors.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Richabi

wales uk
Welcome to you and squirt good luck mine didn't eat for a few days but he eats like a trooper now

Emily A

Welcome! It took my Russian (pet store purchased) over a week to start eating, but he sure made up for it when he did! You'll quickly learn that patience is the key to having a pet tort - they kind of do things in slow motion sometimes ;) good luck!

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) Russians are awesome :)