groundcover

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
I've done a bit of searching and found only a thread or two about people who have used live groundcovers in their tort tables. Does anybody have any experience with anything like spanish moss or irish moss or any similar groundcover indoors in their enclosures? How well do they do? Any suggestions for tort-friendly, hardy, and relatively easy groundcovers?

Seems to me like the UVA/UVB heat bulbs most of us are using + ambient light would provide enough for some partial to full/shade plants. Plus it seems like that would be a way of creating a more healthy/naturalistic environment. It could also keep things looking "tidier".

An example of what I mean is
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-10815.html?highlight=groundcover
but I don't necessarily mean covering the entire enclosure like kadaan did.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have used Irish Moss and Scottish moss in my Cherry Head's enclosure when he was small to hold humidity and keep the water dish clean. I also use it in my boxie's enclosures.
Scan0008-3.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I have never used anything like that in Dale's enclosure, but I think it would be a good idea. Terry's looks good. :)

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Thanks Terry. That's what I'm looking for. Do you have any pictures of your box turtle enclosure?

Was it fairly easy to get the irish moss established? Did you grow it from seed or buy it from a nursery? From what I've been able to find Irish or Scottish moss would be best for this because bot are really short, evergreens, and grow well in partial shade.

Anyone else have any experiences?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I love these moss's. They are good inside if you have a decent light, but can't take a heat light right on them. I use a heat emitter for both my inside boxies and my Cherry Head, and just a long tube UVB 5.0. I put the moss under the tube light not the heat emitter, which is over the hide. The moss is mostly around the water dishes. I also use it for outside along the stream, because it spreads and comes back every Spring and has little white flowers. Really nice looking. Here's a few pictures. I get it in a nursery, in small pots and it just spreads in one season.
this is outside along the stream. It really spread in the last year.
038-7.jpg

Little Three Toed...too small to go out
Scan0028.jpg

around the water dish as my Cherry H got bigger
scan0007-8.jpg

this has some terrarium moss near the hide and the Scottish moss in the back of that
scan0002-7.jpg

As long as you mist it and don't put it under direct light it will be fine. Another one I like is creeping Jenny. That's a great ground cover and also spreads.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Question: do they eat the moss?

Broda805

5 Year Member
Would also like to know if they will try to eat it, is it safe? Any type to stay away from?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I've been using it for years, and no one ever ate it or even tried to.....not saying they won't. It is very low to the ground, and they just walk on it, but it never got flatened out or trashed like some other plants that I've used. It needs to be watered well or it will dry out. Right now mine is flowering ...outside.

I took some pictures so you could see the little flowers. This is outside and it's always wet from the stream, so it really stays nice.
That's the creeping jenny next to it.
015-14.jpg

the dark green is the Scottish moss and hasn't flowered yet.
016-15.jpg

014-15.jpg

013-16.jpg

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Thanks for the responses Terry. Is there really much of a difference between the Scottish and the Irish Moss other than color? Like did one do better in your terrarium than the other? I think I like the darker green Scottish moss and it'd be an extra plus if I were to see some blooms indoors.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Sorry..my mistake. The dark green one is the Irish moss and the light green is the Scotch moss. Some sites say they are the same only different names.
I have mostly the Scotch moss, but the Irish moss flowers the same. They both flowered inside, and did well. But remember don't put them under a harsh light. I only had them under the long tube 5.0 that gives off NO heat. That's where I had the water dish. The hide was under the heat emitter on the other side. They both like to be misted. I keep my vivarium very humid...80 degrees most of the time.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/irish-moss.htm

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VZ56HE/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

If you don't have good drainage in your enclosure, be careful not to make it too wet, like mud. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.