Growing stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Talka said:
Ok, this Russian tort seed mix: http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41&products_id=162

Can I just put it in pots and grow it, then feed it to Sheldon? I have flower potting soil with fertilizers left over from replanting my regular plants... I'm assuming since it has fertilizer, it's not safe to use?

I wouldn't use the fertilizer-enriched soil, no...otoh, making your own is simple enough if you know anyone who has pet rodents (mice, rats, guinea pigs, bunnies, etc.): mix some soiled bedding (wood chips) in with your soil, about a 1:3 mix is excellent. As the soiled bedding decomposes, it releases food to the plants.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Houston
Yea, any type of natural compost is a 1000 times better than high speed fertilizers.

But no I wouldn't use any fertilizer enriched soil, those chemicals all end up in the plants, which when fed to a small tortoise would be in high amounts compared to body weight vs. humans.

thecrawlingchaos

10 Year Member!
ripper7777777 said:
Yea, any type of natural compost is a 1000 times better than high speed fertilizers.

But no I wouldn't use any fertilizer enriched soil, those chemicals all end up in the plants, which when fed to a small tortoise would be in high amounts compared to body weight vs. humans.

I just seeded a big cement mixing tray with graze mix. I could not find any plain topsoil or potting mix, so I went to a local hydroponics shop to see what they had. I bought something called Ocean Forest from a comapny called FoxFarms. It lists the ingredients anlooks to be all organic. It's "fertilizers" are eartworm castings, hummus and bat guano. This leads me to a possibly stupid question: Organic and natural fertilizers are okay, right? It's just a matter of not using chemicals no? I really hope I have that right, b/c that stuff wasn't cheap.

thecrawlingchaos

10 Year Member!
Is it okay to use potting mix with natural fertilizers such as eathworm castings and bat guano? I'm using an organic mix from a small store and just wanted to check. It's from a company called Foxfarms.

Status
Not open for further replies.