growth on tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

poohbear929

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have owned several different tortoise species before and have read a lot about tortoises. I recently found some sort of growth on the leg of my greek tortoise. I touched it, not knowing what it was and he did not seem to be in pain(he did not try to pull his leg in or squirm anymore than usually when you are examining a tortoise) He is eating, his eyes are clear and bright. I have noticed that he is spending alot of time under the heat lamp though. There is nothing coming out of his nostriles. I also noticed, while touching it, that if I could or should somehow take the growth off, it would leave an open wound on his leg. The growth is also hard. Should I remove it? Maybe treat it with betadine? Any help would be appreciated. I tried taking a picture, but my camera just can't focus that close.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Please, do not try to remove it yourself. A vet needs to diagnose what it is and probably put him on antibiotics. Some lumps are cured just with antibiotics. If it does need to be removed, it might need to be excised in a certain way so he keeps use of his leg. I am not just giving an opinion...I was a vet tech for 8 years. Had to quit 3 yrs ago because of health, but still do turtle & tortoise rehab.
Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.