Gulf Coast Boxie still won't eat ...

CatsinQ

Location (City and/or State)
Panama City Beach, FL
Hi Everyone,
I have had a heck of a time trying to get my Harry to eat. Since the weather got colder he will not eat. I have tried pellets on the advice of everyone here - I got some Mazuri and some other one (forgot the brand name) and soak them and give it to him with what used to be his favorite (chicken with eggs and some supplements) and he will not take a bite. I put this in his enclosure every day, but he never touches it. There are also worms and other small insects in his enclosure. [His enclosure is a plastic kiddie pool with about 2-3" of dirt and fallen leaves from outside. He has a watering pool and several hides, one stone and one wood. I also splash water all around a few times a week to keep the humidity up.] He is always hiding - partially buried. I've been digging him up to soak him every week. He hates it - tolerates it for about five minutes and then freaks out trying to escape, so I end up putting him back. He looks like he's losing weight - judging from where his arms come out of his shell - they are very hollow in there. I am very worried! Is he just trying to hibernate/bruminate? Should I just leave him alone until Spring?
26cKZ3jD7gF6A4LnMFU5Ud6MVOluh6ONCJssls_EXBkqrQFkPPUNKgILLF2pJrcedyM8VRXQDc9d2mk--Hxh8OeVZmk4TV4RN20i7OwDZEytwf8NxPnsNeddXUMfj0nMJ9rcWHT38oCGFbi5lkWWQDqFky3aRbY8j8IGMZRcky6ej3D4WzSNddfkT1wpaZFGO4jZRxP_xm75fPUQjQp6a8GRrRIwTPDP7_XW1BLtd6NWVwRsn-aFcNEInJHz-vub0DkD9dJExBYFL1Qh9jFISezJr9lLQrY8TvT3K2kRruuHRuUoyh8c36Lwd63WFSHZzhoSv9-8qbpD6j-2HMNO6ViA_sknmW4dJNVfswPQQrMuBUNngNxGeSYQS-OvY0B_i34wxw0xrhzCYpTOZMy4GEyMfwPfwAnwF9f-avGIqBUUU-lfJupka_Cm0zeSwAaWvxJ3u_WD2VP91wRIvbgh0GdGinXqtLTTXCcLU-5_5wdoAHciWGn6RjZ3iJmnVQZkyyCpmov2T5Y_txgz93Mevaz00qi47PS2vWtPaijKWCZHm1Y6bJNd0ECDjGII9r-nv7a9v9nIOZgPgctdoV9hVsHzd2IW0nzdZLwcVEA=w963-h722-no

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you checked the temperature at floor level? Your lights look a bit high to me.

CatsinQ

Panama City Beach, FL
The thermometer is laying on the substrate, so I think it's pretty accurate. The low light is the heat; the high light is just light. If I put it too close to the mesh it's like his enclosure is lit by a spotlight! Re: the temperature - it's probably about 80 degrees in there, but I can doublecheck it. If it is, is that warm enough? The ambient temperature outside is high 50's (I'm in FL) and the house is about 68-70.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
You want to keep him warm and humid. Especially for a gulf coast. Also, keep uvb lighting on 14 hours a day and keep gentle heat on during the night. My guess is he is too cool and dry.

I see no photo??