Hai

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlenewby

5 Year Member
Hello. I am turtlenewby. The name explains why I'm here. I'm totally new to this.
I'm from Southern California, USA. I use to have one Red-ear slider water turtle. Now, I have 3 Eastern Box Turtles I got last Sunday. I'm going to need a lot of help to taking care of these box turtles because they seem way harder to take care of, especially the hibernation process, which I'm scared of because what if the turtles don't make it?
So yeah...I'm going to need a lot of help on this forum to take care of my box turtles.
Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) most that hibernate tortoises or turtles say not to hibernate, as you just got them and have no real idea how healthy they are to make it through the hibernation. Best to keep them up the first year, so you can be sure they are healthy. Hopefully others that can help you further with come on soon.

turtlenewby

5 Year Member
wellington, the thing is, one of them seems to already started to hibernate; it's not that active, it's staying inside its shell, and it only twitches once in a while. I just need some knowledge on how to hibernate turtles successfully. :/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi turtlenewby and welcome to the Forum!

You should not allow a new-to-you turtle or tortoise hibernate the first year. You need to set them up in a large indoor habitat with lights, heat, feeding station, hiding place and waterer. I use orchid bark substrate. For box turtles you can add some clean soil to the bark and mix it up. Keep it moist.

First off, get a tub with tall sides that they can't climb out of, something like a dish pan, and add some warm water. Make it so the water comes up to the middle of the turtles' sides, that way they don't have to struggle to keep their heads above the water. Leave them soaking in this water for at least 15 minutes, but a half hour is ok. Just keep checking on them to be sure they don't tip over upside down. A nice warm soak should perk up that one that seems "sleepy." I think rather than hibernating, he's probably scared. I live in Central California, and my box turtles live outside. They are not in hibernation mode yet, and I think my weather is pretty much like yours.

Please read some care sheets and learn how to care for your box turtles, and if you have any questions, we'll gladly answer them for you (in the box turtle section of the Forum).

Status
Not open for further replies.