Help with tort pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameron740

5 Year Member
Hello, i am new to the tort care but not turtles. I have 3 baby red ear sliders and an adult red ear slider. I wanted to start taking care of tortoises. I need to help on we're to find the best tortoise and a cheap one bcuz i dont have that much money. Any help ASAP!!!! Thanks.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
1. Tortoises Aren't Cheap
2. If you can't afford one adopt one
3. Do research for months and ask questions no matter how stupid they may seem to you
4. Be willing to spend money
5. Keep researching....this is a never ending process
6. Buy and build the habitat first correctly with all the amenities, ask people on here if it's setup right....once it's solid....then look for a tortoise (avoid glass tanks)

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
there are a few people on here that run adoption agencies.....they should chime in soon

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Yeah tortoises are NOT cheap. I would deff do research for awhile before getting on. Just 1 light bulb for them cost almost $50 then you need another bulb like CHE's bulb that is just a little cheaper but not by much then you need lamps, then the enclosure, food, Calcium & Vitamin supplements, soil, ECT so it is NOT cheap at all...... So I would deff look into this before you just buy/adopt one.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I just read that you have 3 baby red eared sliders and don't have much money. I do not know if you have spare tanks at home, or what you are keeping them in at the moment, but chances are, you will need to buy tanks in the near future and those are expensive.

Do you have enough money to care for the animals you already have?

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
I wouldn't get one if you can't care for it. So I would just wait till you had more money & a place to keep them & feed them GOOD... Tortoises aren't cheap at all and if you don't have the money don't do it to the poor little tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Cameron, and welcome to the Forum!!

You may be able to find a fairly inexpensive tortoise, however, setting him up in a well-thought out habitat isn't going to be cheap. If you get a pretty young tortoise you can keep him indoors. An indoor tortoise is going to need a very large bin/tub/aquarium, two fixtures, one to hold an expensive UVB light and the other for night time heat, substrate, a waterer, a couple of hiding places, a feeding tile/rock/slate, some plastic or real plants, a soaking tub and, of course, the daily food.

If you get an older tortoise, in my opinion, it needs to be set up outside. Tortoises are wild animals, and do much better outdoors. An outdoor habitat will be a little cheaper to set up because you don't need the lights/heat, but you'll need fence material and plants.

So my advice to you is to wait on getting the tortoise. Read through the forums and see what you're going to need for the tortoise. Get it all set up first, then, when you're ready...then buy your tortoise. We have some great pictures in the "enclosure" section.

ColinF87

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
cameron740 said:
And why avoid glass tanks

Your tort won't be able to tell that it's glass and keep trying to walk through it. If they can see something, they want to investigate. If they find a mysterious barrier in the way it'll just stress them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.