Hand feeding

visco

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Taiwan
Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth.
I think if you are going to put your hand within the reach of the mouth of anything, care and caution should be exercised. When I feed my torts by hand I try to keep in mind that he may accidentally bite my hand while trying to eat his treat, and I try to make sure to get the treat to his beak and move it away as quickly as i can. Keep in mind that their eyes are not on the front of their head and despite their best attempts they may accidentally get your fingers occasionally.
With that said. I really only do it for an afternoon treat well after feeding time. I do not hand feed them at regular meal times. Ever. Usually when I give treats I use the Rep-Cal commercial tort pellets soaked in water. I have experimented with this quite a bit and have come to this conclusion. When they can smell the food on your fingers, wether you actually have anything in your hand, they will attempt to eat what they believe is a treat in your hand. I will feed them a couple of pellets and then return the same hand empty. They will of course, try to nip my fingers. If i present them with a hand that has not touched the food... there is no interest what so ever.

Also, it's nice to come over to the enclosure and see them come running. I really recommend giving small treats if you want to have a chance to interact with your torts. they will be more receptive to being touched if you give them the occasional treat!
treats.JPG

Lyles

cute_turtle.jpg

Dangers of hand feeding. lol

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
The plant you posted reminds me of creeping oxeye, which I am allergic to (but I still handle it, it grows too quickly)
View attachment 98373
View attachment 98374
View attachment 98375
View attachment 98376
I read somewhere it's not good for mammals...[/QUOT
The plant you posted reminds me of creeping oxeye, which I am allergic to (but I still handle it, it grows too quickly)
View attachment 98373
View attachment 98374
View attachment 98375
View attachment 98376
I read somewhere it's not good for mammals...

* It looks similar, also could be different types. I really have no idea!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
* It looks similar, also could be different types. I really have no idea!
This appears to be a creeping daisy. In the Sunflower family, this vining plant is low maintenance and flowers best in full sun.

In Florida it is considered a noxious weed to be eliminated.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
With one of my DT's there was a concerning underbite, (both of DT's were rescue's from poor diets, lighting and care their first several years from their previous owners). I did hand feed to help him (who I thought was a her) learn tearing and biting from the side of it's mouth/beak. They were both starved and ate for weeks non-stop when I first got them. Alarming me just by their appetites, they both were seen by vets. Our vet assured us they were making up for poor diet, both in good health. Still, worried about the overbite, I hand fed periodically, not everyday, but in my mind it simulated a more natural environment, as eating from a strong plant in what would be their natural habitat, than just tossing in good diet and hoping he'd eat it. Through the following years of the rehab, feeding them the right foods, in right temps, with right uv exposures, and not chopping foods, but whole leaves, they both improved in health. It did take years before I felt they were healthy enough for outdoor full time living. I still hand feed them on occassion and they obviously enjoy it (absolutely careful). My 5 yr old grandkids beg to hand feed them and they love it. Yep might get a pinch if they aren't careful, but that doesn't stop the grand kids. We wash our hands (TOP and BOTTOM, IN BETWEEN, it's a song to sing while sterilizing hands) before and after we're finished (again not very often) but it's great education for the kiddo's and the torts love it too.

Hand feeding my 24 hr rescued Sulcata (only 24 hours before we located his owners) was hilarious, that boy followed me around forever, wanting to be hand fed, placed food on the ground, not so interested, but in my hand, holy moly it was gone in a second. We had a blast getting to know him, and he was awesome. I'm a firm believer in everything (healthy, proper foods or treat) in moderation. So Yes, absolutely interact and hand feed with caution and moderation.

Just my opinion and experience.

(A dream would be to visit Aldabraman's ranch and help feed and interact, although my desert blood just doesn't do humidity pretty (been to Florida, it's pretty, but I sure don't look pretty or enjoy that humidity, I'd almost be willing to tough it out, to visit for a day or two).

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I feed mine by hand sometimes. My russian is okay about it, but I agree, they should NOT be able to bite that hard :p! *Ouch.
I usually only give him treats by hand, but other than that, he just eats out of his bowl. It could be a great way to get to know them, and to let them trust you more. Now I know what his face looks like when 'going in for the kill'. VERY handy, lol! :D
I give my turtles chicken by hand sometimes, but they easily mistake my finger as food afterwards, I mean, similar color and all. Now, THEY pack a powerful punch! And you can hardly know when they're coming! :confused:
I don't feed my suclata by hand. She's perfectly friendly, but I would feel very iffy about having my hand so close to her chomper... I've seen what she's done to plants! :p:eek::confused:
I think if you do just every now and then, it could be fun for everybody, and your tort gets to try out something new and friendly:D

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
As usual, Tom is right. I think feeding tortoises, especially giant ones, by hand is a good way to bond with them, but I am under no illusions that this is good for the tortoise. The enjoyment of hand feeding is all on this primate's side of the table, I'll tell you. As for the biting, that's just always a risk. Everything bites. Bugs bite, dogs bite, cats bite, and even people bite. My nephew bit me just the other day when I wouldn't let him go play outside in the rain, and I've never fed him by hand, not even once.

T.G.